• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
No ! .. nor are any other Ionic/Covalent compounds .. the only diatomic elements are those elements which end in -gen ( that's how i remember it)

-Halogens
-Nitrogen N2
-Oxygen O2
-Hydrogen H2

The compounds containing these elements are not diatomic either .. only these elements exist in diatomic form.

Like Potassium exists as K in nature , similarly Nitrogen and other diatomic elements occur in N2 form instead of N.

Depends on the way which that word is used really .. Diatomic can also mean a compound containg 2 atoms .. in which case what you have written will be correct , but i don't think the question which snowboard asked would be about that.

PS: I have edited my post to change it , thanks glamgurl for pointing it out :)
umm thanks. i didnt know this -gen rule.. thankee

Reaction score
Question 3 part a of phy atp may june 11, qp 41​
PLEASE help!​

Attach the newton meter with the block by a string. let the block remain in it's positon and allow the newtonmeter to hang by the edge of the table. Use different waits on the newton meter i.e 0.1 N, 0.5 N, 1 N, 5 N and measure the distance the block moves for each. The weight that produces the slightest moment is the minimum force required to move the block.

Reaction score
so if the question doesn't specify whether the solution is dilute or concentrated , we assume it to be concentrated . Is that right?

Yes we do ! ! i got to know this from one of my friends who goes to a well known teacher of chemistry :D so its 100% correct :p

No we always assume that it is dilute , we only consider it to be concentrated if it's mentioned that it's concentrated.

No if it says aqueous u will use the concentrated selective discharge to identify the elements on each electrode :D

Reaction score
well can anyone answer this question my teacher gave me this as a challenge?? Q A cylindrical steel shaft of radius 2cm and long is turned upside down on a lathe to one half its radius for a distance of 20cm from one end find the distance of its centre of gravity from the thicker end.?

Reaction score
Yes we do ! ! i got to know this from one of my friends who goes to a well known teacher of chemistry :D so its 100% correct :p

No if it says aqueous u will use the concentrated selective discharge to identify the elements on each electrode :D
yeah you are ryte if it is not mentioned then alwayz consider it as concentrated, it was confirmed in a cmabridge workshop :D

Reaction score
well can anyone answer this question my teacher gave me this as a challenge?? Q A cylindrical steel shaft of radius 2cm and long is turned upside down on a lathe to one half its radius for a distance of 20cm from one end find the distance of its centre of gravity from the thicker end.?
anyone that could help me with my question?

Reaction score
@ ALL: Marking Schemes were made before 2004 and infact even in the 90's. Yet CIE didn't find appropriate to publish them then. If you want them, just buy them from the CIE. (Isn't that costly either)