• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Need help..... invstigations related to GERMINATION? can anybody help me out pleaseeeeeee

Reaction score
(d) You are provided with two pure-breeding varieties of the same crop plant; one is resistant to weed-killer and the other is non-resistant.
Explain how you would carry out a genetic experiment to determine whether the resistance is dominant or recessive. [5]

I dont get questions like these :/ help please?

Reaction score
(d) You are provided with two pure-breeding varieties of the same crop plant; one is resistant to weed-killer and the other is non-resistant.
Explain how you would carry out a genetic experiment to determine whether the resistance is dominant or recessive. [5]

Where did u see this? :O

Reaction score

I don't get this as well! High five! But read it from the pure. You'll get it. Some of it. lol. Like I did. But if someone gets it, please explain this stupid question which so will not come tomorrow hopefully and Inshaa Allah.

Reaction score

Cross breed the resistant plant with the non resistance plant. You would then get heterozygous plants. Crossbreed these heterozygous plants. Spray the offspring with weed killer and if you get 1/4 of the plants still living, then the resistance gene is resessive. If you get 3/4 of the plants still living then the resistance gene is dominant.

Reaction score
Okay so you know how plant offspring are genetically identical to the parent plant? And you do know that the ratio of Mendel's crosses is 3:1 right?
So keeping these in mind, you will cross resistant plants with non-resistant plants. The F1 generation produced will be checked for resistance to weed killer. If all the offspring are resistant then it means that the resistant trait is dominant over the non-resistant trait. The offspring of F1 generation will be further crossed with each other i.e dominants will be crossed with dominants. This will be the F2 generation in which the ratio of resistant to non-resistant will be 3:1. So considering this ratio , the allele for resistant is dominant and allele for non-resistant is recessive.

I hope you got it!

Reaction score

Two pure-breeding varieties means that both of the varieties will be homozygous, whether homozygous dominant or recessive.
You cross the two pure-breeding varieties.
The first filial generation or the the offspring of the cross will be heterozygous.
The heterozygous offspring is then inter crossed (Hetrozygous x Hetrozygous)
The phenotype ratio is observed by applying weed killer. (Counting the plants)
The one who's ratio is greater is the dominant one. (As it's monohybrid inheritance it's gonna be more like 3:1)

YY x yy
First Filial = Yy

Yy x Yy
YY Yy Yy yy
3:1 phenotypic ratio is observed.

Reaction score
Okay so you know how plant offspring are genetically identical to the parent plant? And you do know that the ratio of Mendel's crosses is 3:1 right?
So keeping these in mind, you will cross resistant plants with non-resistant plants. The F1 generation produced will be checked for resistance to weed killer. If all the offspring are resistant then it means that the resistant trait is dominant over the non-resistant trait. The offspring of F1 generation will be further crossed with each other i.e dominants will be crossed with dominants. This will be the F2 generation in which the ratio of resistant to non-resistant will be 3:1. So considering this ratio , the allele for resistant is dominant and allele for non-resistant is recessive.

I hope you got it!
Is there any specific purpose of crossing them 2 times?

Reaction score
Thank you so much. :D But please do explain as well..

I hope you got it!

Reaction score
Is there any specific purpose of crossing them 2 times?

Umm because in the first filial generation all the offspring are with the dominant trait. If you cross them second time you will be able to prove the ratio which is 3:1 and youll be also able to tell that the other trait is resistant