• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Okay, i will!

But Rectifying diodes. Transistors. And all the other stuff. Relay. Bell. I have no idea what all this means. :/
Is this stuff mentioned in Federal physics?
Relay, bell and logic gates is there. I haven't even heard this rectifying thing before let alone seeing it in the book. :p
And yeah reed switch is also there. Do read it once.
Relay consists of two circuits that are incomplete hence the current does not flow. But when the a small current passes through the first circuit, the other circuit is completed due to magnetic effect and a greater current flows in the large circuit. Relay is used to control devices that need a large amount of current by way of wires and switches used to control small circuits. The same phenomenon occurs in the bell, magnetism is induced and circuit is completed etc.

Reaction score
Yes, because all redox reactions involve oxidation and reduction

But what about covalent bonding?

H2 (g) + F2 (g) --> 2HF (g)

A covalent bond is formed between these two molecules, and no gain or loss of electrons takes place.
But there is a change in the oxidation state.

Reaction score
But what about covalent bonding?

H2 (g) + F2 (g) --> 2HF (g)

A covalent bond is formed between these two molecules, and no gain or loss of electrons takes place.
But there is a change in the oxidation state.
H2 ------> H+1 + e- (Oxidation)
F2- + e- -----> F2 (Reduction)

Reaction score
17) The reaction is in equilibrium. Thus whatever we do, the reaction will do something to kind of like ... uhm 'counteract' it. If we add HCl, the backward reaction will favour, shifting the position of equilibium to the left, causing the white ppt of BiOCl to fade/dissolve

10) This is the structure of hydrazine. However, the answer is the marking scheme is given as D, but I believe it to be C

Hydrazine.JPG

Reaction score
17) The reaction is in equilibrium. Thus whatever we do, the reaction will do something to kind of like ... uhm 'counteract' it. If we add HCl, the backward reaction will favour, shifting the position of equilibium to the left, causing the white ppt of BiOCl to fade/dissolve

10) This is the structure of hydrazine. However, the answer is the marking scheme is given as D, but I believe it to be C

View attachment 38082
Exactly, I did C too. :confused:
Where in the book can I read about this equilibrium reaction thing? Is it in Chemistry Insights?

Reaction score
Exactly, I did C too. :confused:
Where in the book can I read about this equilibrium reaction thing? Is it in Chemistry Insights?
I don't know about the Chemistry Insights. My chemistry teacher gave us a lecture on it, and I had to note down the points during her lecture. Try fundamental or Chemistry matters, it could be there. It is there in the Chemistry book by Richard Harwood.

Reaction score
I don't know about the Chemistry Insights. My chemistry teacher gave us a lecture on it, and I had to note down the points during her lecture. Try fundamental or Chemistry matters, it could be there. It is there in the Chemistry book by Richard Harwood.
Oh okay. I can get Chemistry Matters, though. Does it cover the whole topic?

Reaction score
Reaction score

19th is A since aluminium oxides are amphoteric and carbon dioxide is acidic so they would react with NaOH. Copper and magnesium oxides don't react with bases.

20th is B since if you add more HCl then t pressure on the reactant side increases and is more than that of the product side so eq shifts forwards reducing pressure and making more Cl2

31st is D since O2 is formed at the anode and the O2 reacts with the carbon rods to give CO2. This takes place due to high temp.

Reaction score
19th is A since aluminium oxides are amphoteric and carbon dioxide is acidic so they would react with NaOH. Copper and magnesium oxides don't react with bases.

20th is B since if you add more HCl then t pressure on the reactant side increases and is more than that of the product side so eq shifts forwards reducing pressure and making more Cl2

31st is D since O2 is formed at the anode and the O2 reacts with the carbon rods to give CO2. This takes place due to high temp.
Thank you. :)