• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
RuckingFetard03 said:
Water gains energy to turn into vapours! Doesn't it? So shouldn't it be endothermic?!

And I am a girl everyone! Everyone just assumes I am a guy!
Well from a bond energy point of view, the energy it takes in to break its bonds is less than the total energy it gives out as its bonds are broken ! Therein, it is exothermic ! :)

Reaction score
nopes its endothermic go to the individual thread made by RuckingFetard to get explanation

Reaction score
OMG that was so confusing ( Literally i feel like i've never studied this) ! Anyway,
so what we conclude is, this ?
solid--->liquid---->gas = always endothermic because it has to take in energy to break strong bonds in order to form less stable states (thus positive enthalpy)

gas---->liquid---->solid = always exothermic because energy is released as you are forming new, stronger bonds to form the more stable state (thus negative enthalpy)

Reaction score
sweetiepie said:
To find magnification

magnification = length of image \ actaul length

To find length of image

length of image = magnification * actaul length

i hope this helps :)

THNX A LOOT! :D

Reaction score
Q the survivor of a shipwreck lands on an island which is 300m from a vertical clif he sees a ship anchored between the island and the cliff. a blast from the ship's horn is heard twice with a time lapse of 4s. Calculate the distance d of the ship from the island (Assume that the speed of the sound=330ms).

Reaction score
can u attach the paper if not then wait till tomorrow ill see in my PP book and then ill tell u so just wait,i think in Xtreme papers they dont have the past papers of J 01

Reaction score
^^
d) i)
The balanced equation along with the symbols can easily be made by looking at the Perodic Table!
Pb^+2 (aqueous) + 2I^-1 (aqueous) = PbI^2 (solid) (the symbol here means to state wheather it's solid, liquid, gas or aqueous).

Not sure about part ii

Reaction score
d ii) X is a reducing agent as it itself oxidised n reduced manganate ions.. (Mn VII are green so are *reduced* wen they turn orange-brown)

Reaction score
yup its a simple redox reaction and both of the above answered it correctly ! :D

Reaction score
need some help with Physics Syllabus contents
(d)Describe a simple form of a.c generator (rotating coil or rotating magnet) and the use of slip rings where needed.
(e) sketch a graph of voltage output against time for a simple A.C generator.
(f) describe the structure and principle of operation of a simple iron-cored transformer.
(h)Discuss the environmental and cost implications of underground power transmission compared ot overhead lines.

Reaction score
for a.c generator.. refer to Explaining Physics (a book wid blue front cover)
cuz itd b really lengthy xplaining it here