• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Pleasee help me with this :(

When we cut the stem longitudinally, one side i.e. the outer one has a layer of cuticle over it which is impermeable, the other side has no cuticle so it is affected by water loss or gain. After immediately cutting the stem, the cells in the inner layer become turgid, but the cells in the outer layer remain the same, those turgid cells exert pressure and so the stem curls outwards. The same concept applies for when the stem is put in a solution with high water potential/low sugar conc.

However, when the stem is placed in conc. sugar solution, the cells in the inner layer loose water and become flaccid while the outer layer remains the same so the stem curls inwards.
Best of luck (y)

Reaction score

a) Taking the average always provides a more accurate result as it decreases the reaction time error.

b i) The m.s. says 'distance (travelled by wave) / length of tray varies' Basically, since the ends are sloping outwards, the tray is not a proper rectangle so the distance of one wave can not be measured accurately.
ii) The best understandable answer I think would be to describe a way of avoiding parallax error eg. view the ruler vertically etc. That's what what the ms accepts too.

c i) This one's pretty easy, you see there is a space between the start of the ruler and 0 so the reading would not be accurate with this ruler.
ii) One ruler is used to measure the length of the 'dead space', the other one used to measure the depth. Both readings are added.

d i) That's just your normal graph.
ii)The speed of the waves becomes so high that the time cannot be measured by the student.
iii) Since the graph has a decreasing gradient, you can see that the speed will eventually become constant.

Best of luck (y)

Reaction score
a) Taking the average always provides a more accurate result as it decreases the reaction time error.

b i) The m.s. says 'distance (travelled by wave) / length of tray varies' Basically, since the ends are sloping outwards, the tray is not a proper rectangle so the distance of one wave can not be measured accurately.
ii) The best understandable answer I think would be to describe a way of avoiding parallax error eg. view the ruler vertically etc. That's what what the ms accepts too.

c i) This one's pretty easy, you see there is a space between the start of the ruler and 0 so the reading would not be accurate with this ruler.
ii) One ruler is used to measure the length of the 'dead space', the other one used to measure the depth. Both readings are added.

d i) That's just your normal graph.
ii)The speed of the waves becomes so high that the time cannot be measured by the student.
iii) Since the graph has a decreasing gradient, you can see that the speed will eventually become constant.

Best of luck (y)
thanks alot actually i dont get atp much:(
btw best ov luck to u too :)

Reaction score
Q9(b) by the formula F=f+ma where f(weight or force opposite to the direction of moyion) nd F(driving force that is upward force)
F=1.6x10*7+3,2x10*7=48000000

Q9d3 F=ma 650x8=5200

9 d3 is asking for a statement not calculations. You solved the wrong question.

Reaction score
dunno dint check it(n)
check it please....:cry: n another thn i wnted to ask, sumtyms the marking scheme says, the corrects answer for the relationship between 2 quantities is, "as x increases, y increases, IGNORE directly proportional" but sumtyms it has specific mark alloted for the word directly proportional. how am i supposed to know if the quantities are directly proportional or I jus have to write," as x increases, y increases too" :cry:

Reaction score
check it please....:cry: n another thn i wnted to ask, sumtyms the marking scheme says, the corrects answer for the relationship between 2 quantities is, "as x increases, y increases, IGNORE directly proportional" but sumtyms it has specific mark alloted for the word directly proportional. how am i supposed to know if the quantities are directly proportional or I jus have to write," as x increases, y increases too" :cry:
look if the line would pass from the origin then its wouls be directly propotional but if not then we simply write as x increases y increases

Reaction score
is it saying anything about the scale i dint get it thn(n):notworthy: