• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIOLOGY ALEVEL HELP NEEDED URGENTLY!!

Reaction score
Hey! please guys anyone who got an A* in AL Biology or knows someone who got it answer my question.
My teacher told me that I MUST get A in paper 2 to get an A* in the whole AL.
like if someone got A in Papers 1,3,4 and 5 but in paper 2 he got B he won't be able to get A* overall.
Please guys tell me if this is right or not, and, if possible, give me an evidence for what you say.
If not possible no worries, just answer my question if you can. :)
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hey! please guys anyone who got an A* in AL Biology or knows someone who got it answer my question.
My teacher told me that I MUST get A in paper 2 to get an A* in the whole AL.
like if someone got A in Papers 1,3,4 and 5 but in paper 2 he got B he won't be able to get A* overall.
Please guys tell me if this is right or not, and, if possible, give me an evidence for what you say.
If not possible no worries, just answer my question if you can. :)
Thanks in advance.
I got an A* in Biology this year. But you don't need to look for a person with A* to answer this simple question. Now let's come to the point. First of all, CIE does not award the grade for A level based on the individual component grades. What they do is, they add up the raw marks obtained across all components and compare it with the threshold for that session. If it is greater than or equal to the threshold for A*, you get an A*. What this means is, it's possible to get an A* overall even if you have a B, or may be even a C, in one or two components provided that your marks in the other components are good enough to reach the threshold for obtaining an A*. For more concrete evidence, I have uploaded the thresholds for the latest session below. Take a look at it.

Attachments

• 9700_s14_gt.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reaction score
I got an A* in Biology this year. But you don't need to look for a person with A* to answer this simple question. Now let's come to the point. First of all, CIE does not award the grade for A level based on the individual component grades. What they do is, they add up the raw marks obtained across all components and compare it with the threshold for that session. If it is greater than or equal to the threshold for A*, you get an A*. What this means is, it's possible to get an A* overall even if you have a B, or may be even a C, in one or two components provided that your marks in the other components are good enough to reach the threshold for obtaining an A*. For more concrete evidence, I have uploaded the thresholds for the latest session below. Take a look at it.
Thanks bro :)
but what were your components?