• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology 33, how was it?

How was it?

• Easy

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Normal.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Difficult

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
About that graph with PH, leaves and bark, What exactly were we supposed to make? Ph against Leaves?

Reaction score
About that graph with PH, leaves and bark, What exactly were we supposed to make? Ph against Leaves?
On the x axis, pH... And on the y axis, Activity of enzyme...
and we were suppose to make two line graphs, and label each one clearly, eg. leaves or bark.

Did anyone else do this?

Reaction score
its usually below 30, im guessing for this exam it'll be from 26-28 for an A
for the total length of X-Z i got 141 micrometers
i dnt remeber the calibration
wow... i dont remember my total length, but it was a small two digit number! maybe around 10 micrometers...

Reaction score
wow... i dont remember my total length, but it was a small two digit number! maybe around 10 micrometers...
i think everyone screwed up that question... we all got different answers. but anyway the rest of the exam was ok so it doesnt rlly mater i guess
did u draw a vascular bundle in ur plan diagram ???

Reaction score
i think everyone screwed up that question... we all got different answers. but anyway the rest of the exam was ok so it doesnt rlly mater i guess
did u draw a vascular bundle in ur plan diagram ???

yah i drew the vascular bundle, it wasnt clear in the microscope though... :cautious:
My class got similar answers to mine, for the calibration.

Reaction score
1) You're supposed to draw a graph of activity (y-axis) vs. pH(x-axis). You're also supposed to draw two lines and you must have a way of identifying which line represents which sample (and of course, you must show a key or label). What I did was plot the leaf points with crosses and the bark points with a point in a circle (with a key on the right).
2) Every unit on the eyepiece graticule was 2.5 micrometers. I can't remember the lengths of X, Y, nor Z. Sorry!

Reaction score
1) You're supposed to draw a graph of activity (y-axis) vs. leaves (x-axis). You're also supposed to draw two lines and you must have a way of identifying which line represents which sample (and of course, you must show a key or label). What I did was plot the leaf points with crosses and the bark points with a point in a circle (with a key on the right).
2) Every unit on the eyepiece graticule was 2.5 micrometers. I can't remember the lengths of X, Y, nor Z. Sorry!

On the x axis, we had to plot the pH not the leaves...

and i got 2.4 micrometers for the calibration.

Reaction score
Calibration:
Every unit on the stage micrometer was 0.01 mm
The stage micrometer was 4 units long on the eyepiece graticule
So you're supposed to divide 0.1 mm by 4 to get 0.0025 mm
Also, you're supposed to convert it to a more suitable unit by multiplying 0.0025 mm by 1000 to get 2.5 micrometres.

Reaction score
Calibration:
Every unit on the stage micrometer was 0.01 mm
The stage micrometer was 4 units long on the eyepiece graticule
So you're supposed to divide 0.1 mm by 4 to get 0.0025 mm
Also, you're supposed to convert it to a more suitable unit by multiplying 0.0025 mm by 1000 to get 2.5 micrometres.

The stage micrometer was 4.2 units long...

That how i got 2.4 micrometers.

Reaction score
You could have written millions of differences:
1) Fig 2.4 has a larger/wider pith
2) Fig 2.4 has a smaller cortex
3) Fig 2.4 has more collenchyma than parenchyma cells (and K1 had less collenchyma than parenchyma)
4) Vascular bundle was spread as a ring in K1, but in fig 2.4, it was in bundles and bundles were spread as rings.
5) Outer layer/bark/epithelial cells are clearly visible in fig 2.4 but not in K1

There are several others.