• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Bio paper/42

What would be the minimum marks required for A in bio/42 ?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Ohhh. the FSH. Dang. So how would it affect the spermatozoa? FSH in males, I was like wuuut.
They didn't ask HOW but you just had to comment whether it plays a role in the activeness of spermatozoa or not.
You had to do that by looking at the table, make a comment, quote paired figures from the table and done :D

Reaction score
1.concentration of water molecules in a solution, like in blood :D
2. The mutation cause a change in base which now coded for a stop codon hence different primary structure smaller polypeptide chain so smaller mass of protein produces.
3.DNA contains gene for proteins, specific to only chloroplast. as chloroplast also conatin 70S ribosome so translation is done in the chloroplast for such proteins. But I named protein as example RUBISCO :D
4.I didn't attemt did Q9
5. as infants metabolic activities are less they donot produce enough heat by other processes, so BAT is there as BAT release heat energy by synthesis of ATP.

2. Actually the beginning of a question mentioned a specific enzyme ( which I forgot the name of) whose function was to inhibit protein growth once it has reached a certain extent. The CC genotype did not produce this enzyme and so muscle mass continued to increase.
4. The two processes were processes 1 and 3. Process 2 was diffusion. It will be affected by a rise in temperature as the average kinetic energy of the H+ ions will increase.

Reaction score
As for the person who was asking the question about 9.b) There were a number of things you could have mentioned and explained in detail:
- The government should pass legislature to prevent hunting
- Conservation areas should be set up where these endangered species are free to breed and live
- These species can be brought into zoos where they will be protected from natural predators
- They can be artificially bred in zoos or other controlled environments
- Using IVF, organisms of the same species can produce a zygote, if they do not reproduce under controlled conditions (as some organisms have the tendency to not mate under such conditions e.g pandas). The embryo produced can be implanted in a surrogate mother as well (an organism of a genetically related species).
- While preforming IVF, care should be taken to breed two organisms of the same species but from different habitats (to ensure genetic variation).

Reaction score
why should normal with recession the person with NF has to be recessive, coz' NF is caused due to recessive conditions :/
I did the same thing !
and all my class mates done the same , it said at least 50% which shows its caused by dominant allele ,
inshallah we are all right :)
Sorry but I guess you guys did it wrong. If it was dominant, it won't have symptom less carriers that produced an infected offspring. NF gene was recessive, for sure. And the normal conditions are always dominant, which is why majority of the human population is normal, rather than diseased.

Reaction score
Sorry but I guess you guys did it wrong. If it was dominant, it won't have symptom less carriers that produced an infected offspring. NF gene was recessive, for sure. And the normal conditions are always dominant, which is why majority of the human population is normal, rather than diseased.

I hate to break it to you, but you seem to be wrong. The question clearly stated that when a person with NF has offspring, there is a 50% chance of an individual with NF being born. Work it out for yourself. If it was a recessive gene, it could only display itself in a homozygous recessive condition and so it would have a maximum 25% chance of the individual suffering from NF.

As for the second part of your question, the question stated, why is it that in some individuals who are not carriers of the disease an offspring may be produced which has the disease. The answer to this was that there is a chance of a mutation occurring. It had nothing to do with recessive genes.

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but you seem to be wrong. The question clearly stated that when a person with NF has offspring, there is a 50% chance of an individual with NF being born. Work it out for yourself. If it was a recessive gene, it could only display itself in a homozygous recessive condition and so it would have a maximum 25% chance of the individual suffering from NF.

As for the second part of your question, the question stated, why is it that in some individuals who are not carriers of the disease an offspring may be produced which has the disease. The answer to this was that there is a chance of a mutation occurring. It had nothing to do with recessive genes.
Exactly! It said a male with the disease caused by NF was crossed with a female which wasnt affected. If NF is recessive, it gave nn and the female, being heterozygous, gave Nn genes, N being normal and n being recessive for NF. The cross results in 50% chance for both. Do it yourself. And clearly, in the second part, it reffered to the family background of the NF affected offspring. The question asked the references from the genotypes of the family. So you had to discuss the heterozygosity, and symptom less carrier thing, not any mutation. It was of 3 marks, as far as I can remember.

Reaction score
Guys I think instead of arguing about it you should google the disease neurofibromatosis which is clearly stated in the wikipedia article as an autosomal dominant disorder.so it cannot be recessive in anyway.

Reaction score
Exactly! It said a male with the disease caused by NF was crossed with a female which wasnt affected. If NF is recessive, it gave nn and the female, being heterozygous, gave Nn genes, N being normal and n being recessive for NF. The cross results in 50% chance for both. Do it yourself. And clearly, in the second part, it reffered to the family background of the NF affected offspring. The question asked the references from the genotypes of the family. So you had to discuss the heterozygosity, and symptom less carrier thing, not any mutation. It was of 3 marks, as far as I can remember.
Dont argue when you are not sure !!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofibromatosis

Reaction score
For My questions I wrote:
1) For the labelling of chloroplast I wrote pigment is X and transport protein Y.
2) For the Xoo resistance part i wore it was having defective promoter so no transcription thus no mRNA and also no translation so no protein. Thus, no sugar passes from The mesophyll cells to air spaces.
3)For the one regarding DNA analysis i wrote DNA finger printing i.e all tht gel electrophoresis process and matching DNA.
4) For BAT one i wrote process 2 and 3.. and by product was H2O...
Anyone who did fermenter question plzz share your points

Reaction score
Reaction score
Oh crap.
Apparently, I put nn for the affected parent and Nn for the unaffected parent :p

I you read the next question, They said "Explain how could the offspring of the parents get NF if both did not have NF"
This means the NF allele is recessive , The Parents were Carriers "Heterozygous".

So in the cross I put NF allele as recessive. "nn"

:D