• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIo Help Please =S

Reaction score
Could anyone help me ?
-To describe the role of fungus Penicillium in the production of antibiotic penicillin ?
-Why antibiotics kill bacteria but not viruses ?
-Role of hormones in controlling the menstrual cycle which includes FSH, LH,progesterone and oestrogen
thanks n advance =))) :)

Reaction score
shamawi said:
Could anyone help me ?
-To describe the role of fungus Penicillium in the production of antibiotic penicillin ?
-Why antibiotics kill bacteria but not viruses ?
-Role of hormones in controlling the menstrual cycle which includes FSH, LH,progesterone and oestrogen
thanks n advance =))) :)

I answered in this thread.

Reaction score
1) In the syllabus it only asks to describe how penicillen is made from mould penicillium.
2)Because antibiotics target cell walls only so when taken into the body, it binds to the enzyme responsible for forming that cell wall and since were animals, we don't have any cell wall except by bacteria so it attacks the bactera immediately.

FSH = Develops the ovum into a larger structure called Graafian follicle
LH = Makes graafian follicle develop into another structure called Corpus Luteim/Yellow body
Oestrogen - Maintains the uterus lining and enhibits production of FSH to prevent another ovum from being released at same time.
Progesterone - Mains the uterus lining as when it becomes low in the blood, menstruation occurs.