• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Bio ATP

Reaction score
HELP!
Can anyone tell me the volume/amount of all reagents we use for food tests?
And also please guide me in how we find the magnification. How many times do we multiply/ the formula. I really need to know this.
Would mean so much. Thanks!
P.S any other tips would be very much appreciated. I stink at Bio.

Reaction score
Food tests for starch : use iodine solution ; if the iodine turns blue-black, it shows the presence of starch
proteins : use biuret solution; if the solution turns to a colour similar to purple , it shows the presence of proteins
fats/lipids : use ethanol; if the solution forms a white cloudy mixture on the water suface, it shows the presence of fats

I am not sure for other questions and sorry if i dun actually get the idea of ur question.. SORRY in advance.. :X3:

Reaction score
Food tests for starch : use iodine solution ; if the iodine turns blue-black, it shows the presence of starch
proteins : use biuret solution; if the solution turns to a colour similar to purple , it shows the presence of proteins
fats/lipids : use ethanol; if the solution forms a white cloudy mixture on the water suface, it shows the presence of fats

I am not sure for other questions and sorry if i dun actually get the idea of ur question.. SORRY in advance.. :X3:
Gah, thank you so much!! You dont have to be sorry, you helped me :) all the best!

Reaction score
HELP!
And also please guide me in how we find the magnification. How many times do we multiply/ the formula. I really need to know this.
Food tests:
Starch:
Iodine, observe a colour change from brown to blue-black.

Reducing Sugars:
Cut or grind off a small sample and add it to water to attempt to dissolve it. Then add Benedict's solution and heat using a waterbath. Observe a colour change from blue to brick-red.

Protein:
Cut or grind off a small sample and add it to water to attempt to dissolve it. Add potassium hydroxide and copper sulphate. Observe a colour change from blue to purple.

Fat:
Cut or grind off a small portion. Place in a test tube of ethanol and shake. Add the liquid part of this mixture to a test tube containing water. Observe a cloudy emulsifying change.

;)

Reaction score
Food tests:
Starch:
Iodine, observe a colour change from brown to blue-black.

Reducing Sugars:
Cut or grind off a small sample and add it to water to attempt to dissolve it. Then add Benedict's solution and heat using a waterbath. Observe a colour change from blue to brick-red.

Protein:
Cut or grind off a small sample and add it to water to attempt to dissolve it. Add potassium hydroxide and copper sulphate. Observe a colour change from blue to purple.

Fat:
Cut or grind off a small portion. Place in a test tube of ethanol and shake. Add the liquid part of this mixture to a test tube containing water. Observe a cloudy emulsifying change.

;)
THANK YOUUUUUUU!! :) That is great.

Reaction score
N Also For Magnification.:rolleyes:

Length of Drawing x Magnification Given (Right side of the Diagram)
Length of Original Picture

Reaction score
Hey, so this is kinda late but please can anyone tell me me how to write data in the table? Esp if we have more than 2 things to write about. Time always comes at the x-axis?

Reaction score
Hey, so this is kinda late but please can anyone tell me me how to write data in the table? Esp if we have more than 2 things to write about. Time always comes at the x-axis?

Whatever you are controlling comes in the x-axis

Reaction score
Yes, if YOU are varying the temperature and recording the time taken, then the temperature comes in the x-axis, while the time in the y-axis

Reaction score
Oh yup, one more thing. When drawing a graph, we can draw a curve right? What if one of our points don't lie in the curve? Is it ok to leave that out?

Reaction score
Oh yup, one more thing. When drawing a graph, we can draw a curve right? What if one of our points don't lie in the curve? Is it ok to leave that out?

it depends on the question, mostly it is a curve, and sometimes one point is doesn't lie on the curve, and they ask you to circle it or may be the reason as to why it was so

Reaction score
HELP!
Thought this might help for magnification:
MAgnification = Measured/Actual

Reaction score
it depends on the question, mostly it is a curve, and sometimes one point is doesn't lie on the curve, and they ask you to circle it or may be the reason as to why it was so
Righty, are best fit lines preferred more than curves? Because I am doing some papers in which they have drawn straight lines b/w points. Rephrased: Will I be penalised if I draw straight lines?

Reaction score
Righty, are best fit lines preferred more than curves? Because I am doing some papers in which they have drawn straight lines b/w points. Rephrased: Will I be penalised if I draw straight lines?
In sum mark schemes they have rejected best fits