• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BAN MUSIC CAMPAIGN - For Muslim brothers and sisters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Doubt 4: If it was such a major sin, why did the Holy Prophet(pbuh) allow singing during Eid and many other occasions such as when he arrived in Madinah for first time.
It is proven that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) granted a dispensation to women only, when there are no men present, allowing them to beat the daff and sing nasheeds which are free of any mention of love or the music and instruments, which includes the permissive songs that exist nowadays. Rather he allowed nasheeds that are free of such offensive characteristics and he allowed beating the daff only, not other kinds of drums or musical instruments, to proclaim marriage. It is narrated in saheeh ahaadeeth, as in Saheeh al-Bukhaari, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade musical instruments of all types and issued stern warnings against them.
Plus i think this argument has been catered to in the previous posts...

Doubt 5: If it was such a major sin, why did the Holy Prophet(pbuh) on seeing the Daff being played, allow it. (Surely if other musical instruments like Piano had been invented at that time, was there a reason not to allow them too?)
Ans:
Excuse me, the laws of Islam are universal and one cannot say that the Prophet was unaware of these inventions that’s why they can be deemed permiisible.
Did you know that there were other wind and string instruments present then. The harp was present since the Greek civilaztion and several other drums and other instruments were used in the palaces of the kings during the time of the Prophet.
And if we analyze the working, the basic of all the modern instruments, they have similar mechanisms. So that argument is baseless. Plus if the Prophet could predict flying metal bodies (aircrafts) and the skyscrapers of Dubai, surely this minor thing was probably not worthy of mention, making the prohibition of music encompassing modern music as well.

Reaction score
Doubt 6: If it was such a major sin, why did Allah allow H.Daud(A.S) to use Music.

The view that Dawood (peace be upon him) used to seek forgiveness by playing the flute is a view for which there is no basis, rather what is meant by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari , “You have been given a beautiful voice (mizmaar, lit. flute) like the beautiful voices of the family of Dawood” (narrated by al-Bukhaari (5048) and Muslim (793) is that he had a beautiful voice, and the beauty of his voice was likened to the sound of the flute.
Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Sharh Muslim: The words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari – “he has been given a beautiful voice (mizmaar) like the beautiful voices of the family of Dawood” – The scholars said: What is meant by mizmaar (lit. flute) here is a beautiful voice.
The original meaning of the word zamr is singing, and phrase “the family of Dawood” refers to Dawood himself. The phrase “the family of So and so” may apply to the person himself. Dawood (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a very beautiful voice. End quote.
Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari: What is meant by mizmaar is a beautiful voice. The basic meaning is the instrument and the word is used of the voice as a simile

Reaction score
Clarifying the meaning of Ma’aazif:
Ma’aazif is the plural of mi’zafah, and refers to musical instruments (Fath al-Baari, 10/55), instruments which are played (al-Majmoo’, 11/577). Al-Qurtubi (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated from al-Jawhari (may Allaah have mercy on him) that ma’aazif means singing. In his Sihaah it says that it means musical instruments. It was also said that it refers to the sound of the instruments. In al-Hawaashi by al-Dimyaati (may Allaah have mercy on him) it says: ma’aazif means drums (dufoof, sing. daff) and other instruments which are struck or beaten (Fath al-Baari, 10/55).
So all kinds of Ma'aazif are Haram except for the duff.

Reaction score
A bit about scholars since an argument was raised here.
Firstly who is a scholar?
An Alim is one who strives to reach the shar‘i ruling and who has the ability to derive shar‘i rulings from the evidence.
The word Alim is synonymously with faqeeh and mujtahid.
There are a few pre requisites before a person can be called a scholar. Here are they in brief:
1.He should have knowledge of the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah. (memeorization isn’t a must, rather he should be familiar with the contents of the Quran and the Kutub us sittah) and know what is Saheeh and daeef from them.
2.He should have knowledge of the issues of consensus (ijmaa‘)
3.He should be well versed in the Arabic language (familiar with structure and grammar)
4.He should have knowledge of usool al-fiqh (basic principles of Islamic jurisprudence), including analogy (qiyaas), because usool al-fiqh is the foundation for deriving rulings.
5.He should have knowledge of what abrogates and what is abrogated (al-naasikh wa’l-mansookh).
A man may be a daa‘iyah, calling people to Allah, and putting a great deal of effort into that, without having reached the level of being a scholar (‘aalim).
In Islamic legislation: the third source of Islamic law happens to be : Ijma.
Now Ijma refers to consensus of the scholars, present and past.
The Prophet said: My Ummah will never agree on misguidance. (La tajtamiu ummati ala dalala)
In the case of music, the major scholars: that includes the 4 Aimmah ( Malik, Abu Hanifa, Ahmed Ibn Hanbal and As Shafii, all have unanimously agreed on the prohibition of music.
So the Quran, Sunnah,and Ijma... all confirm that music is Haram in Islam.
Now we need to be especially very careful when we talk about scholars. And by scholars I mean those who fit the above criteria for e.g. The four Aimmah, Albani, Ibn Taymiyyah, Ibn Al Qayyim, and the other Salaf. As amongst them were Revivers of the Deen as in accordance to the Prophet’s prophesy that every 100 yrs there will be a righteous person who will revive the religion.
And if we see we can easily identify true scholars as whatever they will say will never contradict the primary sources of Islamic law : the Quran and Sunnah.
And as for their constant arguing. I absolutely agree that there is difference, but if we see these classical scholars, their method of arguing was noble and they firmly stated that if any of their rulings went against the Quran and Sunnah, then that should be thrown against the wall.
It is indeed sad to see that it is people who supposedly claim to be of so and so Madhab who are in the wrong as they practice extremism and rigidness. The founders of these Madhahib clearly stated that their Madhab was of the Quran and Sunnah, so they are absolved of the blame. And moreover if we go to see one can easily reconciliate between their teachings, so their difference is no major thing but the fanaticism of their so called followers is a sad thing.
Allah says in the Quran, regarding the virtues of scholars:

And among people and moving creatures and grazing livestock are various colors similarly. Only those fear Allah , from among His servants, who have knowledge. Indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Forgiving. 35: 28.

It is very sad to see Muslims accusing the real true scholars of Islam whose basis is the Quran and Sunnah and on the other hand going ahead to accept other so called misleading people like the verse says:
And of the people is he whose speech pleases you in worldly life, and he calls Allah to witness as to what is in his heart, yet he is the fiercest of opponents.
(2:204)

Reaction score
Doubt 7: What about nursery rhymes… that contain music…?
Firstly there exist various a cappella versions of the same.
Secondly herein lies the fault of Muslims. How about instead of asking such questions, when we know it is Haram, raising our kids in the right shade of Islamic teachings. How about we never introduce them to such evils. Agreed they will encounter it later in life, but if there basics are strong, nothing matters as they will be firm in faith. How about we embed in them the love for the Quran right from their childhood!

Doubt 8: Logically the prohibition doesn’t sound alright.
In Islamic law, logic and reason has very little space. It is the last reference and scholars of the past were very reluctant to use it.
Thus in conclusion:
It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error.
(33:36)

Reaction score
Doubt 7: What about nursery rhymes… that contain music…?
Firstly there exist various a cappella versions of the same.
Secondly herein lies the fault of Muslims. How about instead of asking such questions, when we know it is Haram, raising our kids in the right shade of Islamic teachings. How about we never introduce them to such evils. Agreed they will encounter it later in life, but if there basics are strong, nothing matters as they will be firm in faith. How about we embed in them the love for the Quran right from their childhood!

Doubt 8: Logically the prohibition doesn’t sound alright.
In Islamic law, logic and reason has very little space. It is the last reference and scholars of the past were very reluctant to use it.
Thus in conclusion:
It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error.
(33:36)
Then what about synthetically made music using computers and softwares?

Reaction score
I have a confusion. Anyone please help.
If islam means surrender to the orders of My Rabb and his prophet, does it means that i should blindly follow what i read or i should use my mind to see what it means. See which hadith actually means what. should i give up my own common sense when it comes to Islam?
So far everything in Islam was so logical that i never thought about it. But after the debate here i m actually in doubt.
No pun intended.

Reaction score
I have a confusion. Anyone please help.
If islam means surrender to the orders of My Rabb and his prophet, does it means that i should blindly follow what i read or i should use my mind to see what it means. See which hadith actually means what. should i give up my own common sense when it comes to Islam?
So far everything in Islam was so logical that i never thought about it. But after the debate here i m actually in doubt.
No pun intended.

Some people believe that Shab-e-Baraat is not for worship and it has no special status as it is not mentioned in the Quran and only in a few Fabricated Hadith.
On the other hand, many scholars believe it is special. There are conflicts and differences of opinion.
Driving has been banned for women in KSA. Some scholars even go as far as to declare it ''Haram''.. Many scholars on the other hand, say it is completely not Haram. Every Islamic country or state in the world allows Women to drive, except for KSA. Although, it has never been declared ''Haram'' in the Quran or any Hadith, but the Government of KSA has banned it for women.
Some scholars consider photography to be Haram. While some don't. They say it is just a reflection, nothing is being created, so it's not Haram. Some think this approach is pointless as they don't have an understanding of how the camera works.
The World we live in, there is disunity among Muslims. We are divided into various sects. Even the scholars are not united on any single opinion. They even have conflicts on the method of prayer.
It is okay for you to be confused. You won't understand which scholar's opinion to follow. Since one can not interpret the Quran and Hadith themselves. It requires years of study to be able to interpret the meaning of the verses. But when the Scholar's don't have a common opinion, that leaves one confused. But you should not abandon your common sense. It is most vital here. Use your common sense to re-search all of your queries. Then come to the conclusion yourself and that is what you will follow.

Reaction score
Some people believe that Shab-e-Baraat is not for worship and it has no special status as it is not mentioned in the Quran and only in a few Fabricated Hadith.
On the other hand, many scholars believe it is special. There are conflicts and differences of opinion.
Driving has been banned for women in KSA. Some scholars even go as far as to declare it ''Haram''.. Many scholars on the other hand, say it is completely not Haram. Every Islamic country or state in the world allows Women to drive, except for KSA. Although, it has never been declared ''Haram'' in the Quran or any Hadith, but the Government of KSA has banned it for women.
Some scholars consider photography to be Haram. While some don't. They say it is just a reflection, nothing is being created, so it's not Haram. Some think this approach is pointless as they don't have an understanding of how the camera works.
The World we live in, there is disunity among Muslims. We are divided into various sects. Even the scholars are not united on any single opinion. They even have conflicts on the method of prayer.
It is okay for you to be confused. You won't understand which scholar's opinion to follow. Since one can not interpret the Quran and Hadith themselves. It requires years of study to be able to interpret the meaning of the verses. But when the Scholar's don't have a common opinion, that leaves one confused. But you should not abandon your common sense. It is most vital here. Use your common sense to re-search all of your queries. Then come to the conclusion yourself and that is what you will follow.

My common sense says that as music is not mentioned in quran and the hadith which mentions it can be proves weak in many ways, music has nothing to do with haram. Islam is truly neutral on music. Although Quran abandons evil talks at many places so any evil talk whether it is in newspaper, songs, facebook or phone is wrong. If one can use his tongue to spread evil, it does not mean that use of tongue for any other thing is also unlawful. scholars say use of youtube is haram because bad videos are uploaded. if one can use it for wrong, other can use it for good. It is just like saying talking anything is haram because one can use tongue to lie.

Reaction score
Badrobot, Quran is obviously a book of regulations. And God has ordered us to concentrate and research on the Quran. " And read Quran with pause and understanding", Then who come are we supposed to not think on the divine commandments. Honestly this the reason behind condition of MusLIms that there so-called scholars have taught them to shut there minds and confine there thinking. AtemisDelta Your attempt was good but once again it mostly consisted of unrecognized Hadith except for a few. Then it seems that you were trying to mould facts, If Prophet allowed songing and beating duff this is a clear indication, what gave proofs that the other instruments were available openly in Arab. And moreover You tried to provide some facts about Prophet. David (peace be upon him). I am sure you are aware that Psalm is a divine sculpture as Quran. Here are few of its verses:
"Psalm 139

For the director of music. Of David. A psalm."

"The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2000.
The Psalms

A Call to Praise God with Musical Instruments 1Praise ye the LORD.

Praise God in his sanctuary:
praise him in the firmament of his power.
2Praise him for his mighty acts:

praise him according to his excellent greatness.
3Praise him with the sound of the trumpet:

praise him with the psaltery and harp.
4Praise him with the timbrel and dance:

praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
5Praise him upon the loud cymbals:

praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
6Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. "

PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I HAVE LEARNT A BIG EXTRACT FROM THIS THREAD, MUSIC IN TODAYS' WORLD IS CERTAINLY HARAM BECAUSE IT WEAKEN US TOWARDS SINS. I HAVE DECIDED TO AVOID MUSIC AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE FROM NOW ON, BUT BY THIS, I REFER TO THE POP, ROMANTIC MUSIC. NOT THE SUFI MUSIC, OR THE ARAB HAMDS, OR THE ONE PRAISING THE LORD. CERTAINLY " SUCH MUSIC IS NOT PROVED HARAM"

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I HAVE LEARNT A BIG EXTRACT FROM THIS THREAD, MUSIC IN TODAYS' WORLD IS CERTAINLY HARAM BECAUSE IT WEAKEN US TOWARDS SINS. I HAVE DECIDED TO AVOID MUSIC AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE FROM NOW ON, BUT BY THIS, I REFER TO THE POP, ROMANTIC MUSIC. NOT THE SUFI MUSIC, OR THE ARAB HAMDS, OR THE ONE PRAISING THE LORD. CERTAINLY " SUCH MUSIC IS NOT PROVED HARAM"

you have no idea where the sufi music takes you and what these people attempt to teach you by their verses full of shirk. these songs/naats/whatever should also be avoided which have shirk in them.
Some songs praising weed, drinking and songs encouraging sexual or romantic mood is also bad. it is the message in music that makes it good or bad. just like any other medium of communication. If we use speech tt praise Allah and spread His message than it is a virtue, if you use it for lying or conspiracy against islam it is obviously sinful. no matter how sinful an act is, we have no authority to declare it haram.

Reaction score
you have no idea where the sufi music takes you and what these people attempt to teach you by their verses full of shirk.
i object :eek:
ever heard bullay shah or waris shah?o_O
not the "modern" sufi stuff :rolleyes:
do you realise that if you belong to subcontinent, islam in your family was brought in by them?
they preached and taught islam to the ignorant pagans and their writings are a treasure :cool:

Reaction score
The simple thing is that if music ws such a big sin then it would hv been mentioned in quran. Why would Allah leave that to the humans?

Reaction score
i object :eek:
ever heard bullay shah or waris shah?o_O
not the "modern" sufi stuff :rolleyes:
do you realise that if you belong to subcontinent, islam in your family was brought in by them?
they preached and taught islam to the ignorant pagans and their writings are a treasure :cool:

i know what they brought here is called islam by you people. so much difference in quran and the religion called islam in subcontinent. brought by these magicians and poets. Lord forgive me. but i cant be blind anymore. i can see the islam here is nothing but altered version of hinduism. and i wont hesitate to say this. once again lord forgive me for what my eyes see, my ears hear, my tongue speaks and what my mind thinks.

Reaction score

What about lyric-less film/video games scores and soundtracks. They contain no reference to any of these evils or sins.

Reaction score
i know what they brought here is called islam by you people. so much difference in quran and the religion called islam in subcontinent. brought by these magicians and poets. Lord forgive me. but i cant be blind anymore. i can see the islam here is nothing but altered version of hinduism. and i wont hesitate to say this. once again lord forgive me for what my eyes see, my ears hear, my tongue speaks and what my mind thinks.
magicians and poets? :confused: , dont you think thats something beyond for any of us to decide and rests with Allah alone?o_O
maybe you will decide to change your first name too if you know its history :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Suchal Riaz
you dont like them very much, and by the looks of it you appear to have done some research on them, could you please quote what hindu gods have been mentioned in their work and how they may have put hindu rituals in islam? o_O

Reaction score
Suchal Riaz
you dont like them very much, and by the looks of it you appear to have done some research on them, could you please quote what hindu gods have been mentioned in their work and how they may have put hindu rituals in islam? o_O

there is no need to waste so much time to explain this. just substitute few words in hinduism VIOLA you get subcontinent-islam. replace 'mandir' with 'mazar'. 'parsat' with 'khatam/niyaz'. just a few example. other words are not coming in my mind this time.

and even then you feel i m wrong, compare it to quran.
read quran and you start to feel yourself that the islam you have been seeing around you is different. All research which made me think this way is reading of quran.
even if you cant see read ahadith and you will find dozens of them which are totally against what we have been thinking from childhood. and if you tell somebody something that is against their beliefs they will say you are mad or you are mirzai or shia. even when you quote the hadith or Ayah they wont believe.
i have spent my whole short life in this conflict. quran-hadith vs so-called-islam.

Status
Not open for further replies.