• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Ask your chemistry p6 doubts here with me ! :)

Reaction score
Hey can you please explain me fermentation in chemistry !?! I have no idea about it ! Please help !!
And a doubt ! .. An iron nail is put in a tap water In a test tube and another nail in put into a sea water in a test tube and the third in distiller water .. Which one will rust more faster and why !??
Please help me ..and Thanks in advanced :)

Reaction score
About the iron nails question, I remember that. That question was asking how you can determine in which of these the nail would rust fastest. You don't have to know the result.

Reaction score
See now fermentation is for making ethanol.
Yeast and sugar(glucose) are left and yeast will respire anaerobically (absence of oxygen)
This will give out ethanol and CO2.
You can check if the reaction has taken place by passing a pipe from the conical flask to a testube containing limewater which will turn milky in presence of CO2. And you'll smell a pungent smell due to ethanol.
Fermentation has some draw backs because as you know yeast contains enzymes these enzymes can be denatured by high temperature. or yeas cell may become inactive as the ethanol concentration increases.
BUT also it has its advantages as glucose is a renewable source (made from sugar cane)
The formula for the reaction is
C6H12O6 ---> 2C2H5OH + 2CO2

Hope this helped you :)

Reaction score
THE IRON NAIL THAT IS PUT INTO THE SEA WATER WILL RUST THE FASTEr BECAUSE IT CONTAINS DISSOLVED IONIC IMPURITES so yeah thatz da answer FOR SURE

Reaction score
She7taman said:
About the iron nails question, I remember that. That question was asking how you can determine in which of these the nail would rust fastest. You don't have to know the result.
Yea but just for the knowledge I asked :) .. Btw it was in 2010 paper!