• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Physics Practical - Paper 34

Reaction score
I have inboxed every single person on this thread who messaged me and apologize for the late reply. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! We will all pass with flying colours IA :)
i didnt recieve it :/

Reaction score
I hope the guess helped everyone ;) will discuss the paper in this thread after 24 hours IA.

Reaction score
yeah especially those improvements and sources of error

I'll post all possible answers of every question after 24 hours on this thread IA :) if anyone else wants to discuss paper before that then you can inbox me.

Reaction score
Q1)
i- l = 48-52cm (50cm exact but every student's length will vary)
ii- F = around 2.0N

Table: Distance between each hole was exactly 5cm (every student's value will vary)
Rest of the values noted accordingly with your own corresponding values.
Value must be uptil least count of meter rule which is 1mm/0.1cm/0.001m.

Graph was a straight line in 1st quadrant heading towards 3rd quadrant without passing through origin.

My gradient: 288 (Ncm-1)
Y-intercept: -3.7 (N)

Values of a and b were the same as your gradient and y-intercept.

NOTE: THIS WHOLE QUESTION COULD ALSO HAVE BEEN DONE IN 'meters'.

Q2)
i- My diameter = 0.404cm (measured using vernier calipers/every student's diameter will vary)
ii- Percentage uncertainty in D = Least count of measuring instrument (vernier calipers in my case) ÷ your D value x 100 (or any other practical method)

Value of l = 20.0cm
My t1 = 4 point something seconds.
My Velocity = 57.5 cms-1

Justification of sig fig in velocity: same number of sig fig or 1 number of sig fig greater than the least sig figs noted in your values of 'D' or 't' to reduce uncertainty and obtain a more accurate result.

My length of tube after cutting it in half = 10.1cm

My t2= 5 point something seconds
My Velocity 2 = 43.8 cms-1

My k1 165, k2 190

My values of k were not supporting the suggested relationship as the percentage difference between my values of k was 13.2% i.e greater than 10% of a difference within each other.

Some possible errors and improvements:
1 Two readings are not enough to draw a conclusion so take more values of k and plot a graph.
2 Possibility of parallax error while noting down the reading from syringe scale so fix a meter rule next to the syringe scale and place line of sight perpendicular to the scale reading. (not sure if this will be given credit)
3 Percentage uncertainty in value of D so use micrometer screw gauge instead of vernier calipers to measure D more accurately.
4 Fans and ACs on in the lab cause the tube to move hence flow rate of water is disturbed, turn the fans and ACs off and perform experiment in an isolated environment.
5 Difficult to notice the fall of water level as both water and syringe are transparent so use a coloured liquid or dye the water instead to make it easier to see.
6 Human reaction error in noting the time as there is difficulty in seeing water level fall due to same contrast with syringe so record a video with camera and use slow motion detector to note down readings. (not 100% if this point is acceptable)
7 Recording a volume between 40cm3 and 10cm3 is a very small quantity hence there will be percentage uncertainty in it's reading so use a syringe with a greater volume difference or more sensitive scale.
8 Tube may not be fully vertical at all times hence the value of l calculated may not be completely accurate, instead use a tube which is fully straight e.g a plastic or glass tube.

NOTE: THIS WHOLE QUESTION WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE IN ''cm'' and all answers will vary according to the measurements/calculations of the student.

Reaction score
Q1)
i- l = 68-72cm (70cm exact but every student's length will vary)
ii- F = around 2.0N

Table: Distance between each hole was exactly 5cm (every student's value will vary)

Graph was a straight line in 1st quadrant heading towards 3rd quadrant without passing through origin.

Q2)
i- My diameter = 0.404cm (measured using vernier calipers/every student's diameter will vary)
ii- Percentage uncertainty in D = Least count of measuring instrument (vernier calipers in my case) ÷ your D value x 100 (or any other practical method)

Value of l = 20.0cm
My Velocity = 57.5 cms-1

Justification of sig fig in velocity: same number of sig fig or 1 number of sig fig greater than the least sig figs noted in your values of 'D' or 't' to reduce uncertainty and obtain a more accurate result.

My Velocity 2 = 47.5 cms-1

My k1 165, k2 190

My values of k were not supporting the suggested relationship as the percentage difference between my values of k was 13.2% i.e greater than 10% of a difference within each other.

1 Two readings are not enough to draw a conclusion so take more values of k and plot a graph.
2 Possibility of parallax error while noting down the reading from syringe scale so fix a meter rule next to the syringe scale and place line of sight perpendicular to the scale reading. (not sure if this will be given credit)
3 Percentage uncertainty in value of D so use micrometer screw gauge instead of vernier calipers to measure D more accurately.
4 Fans and ACs on in the lab cause the tube to move hence flow rate of water is disturbed, turn the fans and ACs off and perform experiment in an isolated environment.
5 Difficult to notice the fall of water level as both water and syringe are transparent so use a coloured liquid or dye the water instead to make it easier to see.
6 Human reaction error in noting the time as there is difficulty in seeing water level fall due to same contrast with syringe so record a video with camera and use slow motion detector to note down readings. (not 100% if this point is acceptable)
7 Recording a volume between 40cm3 and 10cm3 is a very small quantity hence there will be percentage uncertainty in it's reading so use a syringe with a greater volume difference or more sensitive scale.
8 Tube may not be fully vertical at all times hence the value of l calculated may not be completely accurate, instead use a tube which is fully straight e.g a plastic or glass tube.

NOTE: THIS WHOLE QUESTION WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DONE IN ''cm'' and all answers will vary according to the measurements/calculations of the student.
my d was much lesser but i agree with all of the rest part :)

Reaction score
um but relationship was v^2=kl ? so k = v^2/l and ur velocity 2 = 47.5
so 2256.3/10.1 = 223 ? then y did u say 190?

Reaction score
Q1)
i- l = 68-72cm (70cm exact but every student's length will vary)
ii- F = around 2.0N

Q2)

Value of l = 20.0cm
My Velocity = 57.5 cms-1

My Velocity 2 = 47.5 cms-1

My k1 165, k2 190

In first part l was 50

Reaction score
Yes you are correct it was exactly 50.
68-72cm was the length of 1st hole to the loop of bigger mass. My mistake again, thanks for pointing it out :)

l was the distance between the pivot and the newton metre, right? :) 99.2-50=49.2cm i think this what i got. :)