• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Physics P1 MCQs Preparation Thread.

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how the galvonometer experiment works to try and find the voltage of a battery.
Please and thankyou! :D xxxxxxxxxxxxx

omg

Reaction score
View attachment 12968

I do not understand how the answer is
C
when the answer should be
D....
please explain

the absolute errors of time and distance are given to 1 SIG.FIG,
so u round off the uncertanity to 1 sig.fig i.e 0.4
and the speed should b given to 3 sig.fig as u see the distance and tym are given to 3 sig.fig in the qs.

Reaction score
I already posted them in the other thread..but looks like few ppl noticed them..i thought as this thread have more views and only 1 day before the exam..so ill post them here too..

NOV 2011 VARIANT 2
1: C....W=QV, so W which is = work done = energy..so C​
2: D......basic stuff​
3: D......again, basic stuff​
4: D.....when we add or subtract numbers..we just add their uncertanities so 0.02 + 0.03 = + or - 0.05 so D​
5: B....A is ofcourse wrong, C and D are systematic errors so B​
6: C......area under the graph= 5 x 20 x 0.5 = 50​
7: B..... terminal velocity, means no acceleration means no reusultant force so..acceleration is zero..then resultant force is zero..so the force of gravity or the weight must be = to the air resistance..and ofcourse weight is no zero, it is mg..so air resistance = weight = mg so no resultant force so B​
8: D....C will not help to deduce anything from the graph..Ais wrong because acceleration is constant..and B is wrong because maybe when the d was zero..the time when it is zero,, they didnt start to count from 0 when it was stationary..maybe they started to count when the car started to move..D is correct because the line is not straight​
9: D..... u can find the avg force..and the momentum..as the rate ofchange of momentum is Ft...and u can find the time of impact but u wont find the acceleration from the graph​
10: B....using the conservation of momentum..when the sand is added the mass increases so the v decreases..then this v is constant even if the sand was removed again..so not because we remove the sand it will be faster..this is wrong..to make it faster again a forceneeds to be applied..so B​
11: A....again, conservation of momentum...m1u1 + m2u2= (m1 + m2) v so (20 x 6) + (20 x -15) = 32v so v =1.9 ( NOTE: i used -15 because it was travelling in the opposite direction)​
12: D...basic stuff​
13: D..again basic stuff​
14: B... F x d = F x d= ( 30KN x 10m) = F x 20m so F = 15Kn...i used F x 20 because the trailer causes a force at point X..but the opposite force exerted by the cab is on all the trailer..and the trailer is 20m long​
15: sry..i got wrong​
16: B...first we get v using K.E = 0.5 m v^2 so 4.5 x 10^5 = 0.5 x 1000 x v^2 so V = 30 then v^2 = u^2 + 2as and a = F/m so V^2/ 2 x ( F/m) = s then 30^2 / 2 x ( 6000 / 1000) = 75m​
17: A...efficiency = ( useful output energy) / ( total input energy) so 8J is the useful output energy..and the total input energy is 100..because 92J is lost as heat so 92 + 8 = 100 so 8/100 = 0.08 x 100 = 8%​
18: D...basic stuff​
19: again basic stuff​
20: A...Prssure = F/A so 290 / 0.036 =8056 PA..then P= pgh so h = 8056/ ( 930 x 9.81) = 0.88m​
21: C...2 and 3 are definetley correct as the graph shows..but one is wrong..yes the extension of P is greater but not twice​
22: A...for a force of 5N we had an extension of 3 cm...so for a load of 2N what will be the extension??? cross multiply and it will be (3cm x 2N) / 5N = 1.2 cm so the Total extension is 3 + 1.2 = 4.2cm​
23: B...easy question, just compare the graphs​
24: basic stuff​
25: anotherbasic stuff THAT HAVE TO BE MEMORIZED​
26: B...i made this question mentally so i dont know if my way is correct..but i got the correct answer:D...at t = 18 the phase difference is 180 degrees....he wanted when is the phase difference will be 1/8 of the phase difference..so 180 x 1/8 = 22.5..so the phase difference is about 22.5..the graph is divided by an interval of starting from the left side where the amplitude of the wave is negative..i started to compare..at time 4s and 8s and 9s..the difference looked greater than 22.5 so i found 4.5 the closest one :D
27: B... simple question​
28: A.....B is wrong....interference only occurs when there are two COHERENT SOURCES not uncoherent..C is wrong as light can not be polarised..and D is wrong as it have nothing to do with interference so A..as white light will produce 7 kinds of lights each with different frequency​
29: D...E= v/d = 9/ 4 x 10^-3 so 2250 is about 2.3 x 10^3​
30: A...D and c are wrong..electron is attracted towards the +ve plate which is upward..then the mass of the electron is 1/2000 of a proton..and an alpha particle will take the path B which is shown in the question..an electron is much lighter so it will be A as the force acting on it will be greater​
31: A...B and D are wrong... C is wrong because in an electric field..an electron will not be attracted in a straight line..like the question 31...the force must be like a tangent to the field lines​
32: C... I=Q/t so if V = IR then V = (Q/t) x R so ( 8 / 20) x 30 = 12​
33: D...Basic stuff​
34: A...R = x= pl/A = pl/ ( pie ) (d/2)^2 and Ry = p x 2l/(pie) (2d/2)^2..divide Rx by Ry and it will be 2/1​
35: A....I= E/ ( R + r) and P=I^2 x R so P = [(E/ ( R+r)]^2 x R substitute the values given for the variable resistor..starting with 0.5 till 4 ex: for the variable resistor try 0.5 then 1 then 1.5 then 2 etc..ull find the power value increased then started to decrease similar to graph A​
36: C...basic stuff..must be memorized​
37: B..using the equation of a potential diviser..V output = [ R1/ ( R1 + R2)] x V = try when the variable resistor was o and also 4.5..as for minimum and maximum..ex 0/( 0 + 1) x 25 = 0 and 4/ ( 4 + 1) x 25 = 20 so B​
38: A...the volt metre and the resistor are in parallel so their total resistance is 100 using the equation of the resistors in parralel..then we will substitute in the same equation i explained in the previous question..it will be (100 /( 400 + 100) x 60 = 12V​
39: C..basic stuff..but note that B is wrong because he said helium atom...it must be helium nucleus​
40: C..again simple question​
QUESTION 28, YOUR ANSWER IS CORRECT BUT YOUR EXPLANATION FOR C IS WRONG, LIGHT CAAAAAAN! BE POLARISED!! IT IS A TRANSVERSE WAVE... LOOK AT ANY OF YOUR SUNGLASSES, THEY POLARISE LIGHT, AND THUS PROTECT UR EYES!!!

Reaction score
Ya ya for sure
Nov 2002
Q 10 - D
13 - A
22 - A
24 - B

Q10 answer is D because it is falling through air so will encounter a deceleration as it reaches terminal velocity while A has a steady speed for a while which is impossible

Q13 are you sure the answer is A? because it looks like it is D for me

Q22
you should just memorize this there is nothing i can help you with in this

Q24
work done is W= f * s
F=kx
force required for P to reach max extension= 2kx=f
force required for Qto reach max extension = kx= f '
f '/f=kx/2kx which is 0.5f

WD by P=f*s
WD by Q= 0.5f*s
so Q is half P

omg

Reaction score
Q10 answer is D because it is falling through air so will encounter a deceleration as it reaches terminal velocity while A has a steady speed for a while which is impossible

Q13 are you sure the answer is A? because it looks like it is D for me

Q22
you should just memorize this there is nothing i can help you with in this

Q24
work done is W= f * s
F=kx
force required for P to reach max extension= 2kx=f
force required for Qto reach max extension = kx= f '
f '/f=kx/2kx which is 0.5f

WD by P=f*s
WD by Q= 0.5f*s
so Q is half P
q.13 it cant b D as forces hav to b equal and in opposite direction, they are prependicular here