• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Physics P1 MCQs Preparation Thread.

Reaction score
waleedsmz will u help me wid qsss 7.
as the ball is thrown horizontaly it will follow a parabloic path so y isnt the horizontal component of velicty remaining constant??
iv posted it many timesssssssssss didnt get any anssssssssss

Alrighty then. I'll ask you a question first. If you have a block and push it vertically downwards on the ground, will it move horizontally ( ie change the horizontal velocity ) ? It will not. The same way if I throw a stone with an angle and an initial velocity. I can resolve the velocity that I have given the stone to a vertical and a horizontal component ( exactly like you resolve forces ). The only acceleration ( force ) in this scenario is due to gravity which acts vertically downwards... This force would only affect the vertical component of the velocity and will not affect the horizontal one.

Reaction score
yea agreed but doesn't air resistance cause the object to reach terminal velocity, hence making the answer A?

Notice that the gradient of the velocity-time curve is the acceleration and not the velocity! When the first part of the graph has a very large constant gradient it means that the acceleration is constant for a long time ( The velocity is constantly increasing ). In the scenario given, the air resistance gradually decrease the acceleration ( gradient ) until it becomes 0 and the velocity doesn't change ( ie a horizontal line on the graph ).

omg

Reaction score
Alrighty then. I'll ask you a question first. If you have a block and push it vertically downwards on the ground, will it move horizontally ( ie change the horizontal velocity ) ? It will not. The same way if I throw a stone with an angle and an initial velocity. I can resolve the velocity that I have given the stone to a vertical and a horizontal component ( exactly like you resolve forces ). The only acceleration ( force ) in this scenario is due to gravity which acts vertically downwards... This force would only affect the vertical component of the velocity and will not affect the horizontal one.
thats what im trying to sayyyyyyyy!!
the ans shoulv been D than bt the ms says its B!!!

Reaction score
umm can any1 plz remind me da formula....E=V/d so F=?? its something related 2 dis but i 4got:cry:

Reaction score
Notice that the gradient of the velocity-time curve is the acceleration and not the velocity! When the first part of the graph has a very large constant gradient it means that the acceleration is constant for a long time ( The velocity is constantly increasing ). In the scenario given, the air resistance gradually decrease the acceleration ( gradient ) until it becomes 0 and the velocity doesn't change ( ie a horizontal line on the graph ).
aha okay ! alhamdulillah i understood it now! thanx so much:)

Reaction score
thats what im trying to sayyyyyyyy!!
the ans shoulv been D than bt the ms says its B!!!

well.. here we are considering the air resistance.... DRAG force is a force which is experienced by a particle moving in fluids... it is always opposite in the direction of the motion of the body.. same as frictional force on the a moving object... since the object was thrown horizontally, Drag forc will also act in the direction opposite to that of the motion of the object... this decreases the horizontal component to zero... for a reality check, throw some thing horizontally from a good height... when the object will be about to reach earth it will appear as being thrown vertically... as if it never had a horizontal velocity...

Reactions: omg

omg

Reaction score
well.. here we are considering the air resistance.... DRAG force is a force which is experienced by a particle moving in fluids... it is always opposite in the direction of the motion of the body.. same as frictional force on the a moving object... since the object was thrown horizontally, Drag forc will also act in the direction opposite to that of the motion of the object... this decreases the horizontal component to zero... for a reality check, throw some thing horizontally from a good height... when the object will be about to reach earth it will appear as being thrown vertically... as if it never had a horizontal velocity...
so in a parabolic motion we neglect the drag force??