• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS math 9709/May June/2018/ Paper 12 Hard Or Easy?

Reaction score
the question where they asked us to find k such that 7-4cos(x)=k has no solutions... will i get the mark if, instead of drawing a graph, i rearrange it to cos(x)=(7-k)/4 and then solve the two inequalities (7-k)/4<-1 and (7-k)/4>1 to obtain the correct answers?
You really didn't had to sketch a graph for that question, the way you did it too, is correct

Reaction score
binomial, a = 3
k<9 and k = 11

a = 8000 , r = 1.02

h= 1 k =22

a = 7 b= -4 , for no solution k > 7 , and k < 3

x = 146 , 323
range for which 2cos > -3sin , 0 >x> 146
yup the range was 0 till 146 and 323 till 360. Your answers for no solution is slightly incorrect. k<3 but your k>7 is wrong. The answer was k<3 and k>11. Try doing it again.
F(x) = 4cox+7
and f(x)=k has no solutions

Reaction score
Maths qp12 was very easy, medium prep and a bit of thinking could've got you full marks. The toughest question was the one I mentioned above, the f(x)=k has no solutions

Reaction score
Hi all,
I took the AS Math (9709/12) exam last week.

My answers were as follows; (I got most of the things right (they matched with others), ill include the correct answers of the few Q's I got wrong, also can someone grade my paper? ty :)). The exam was mostly straightforward, I'd say a bit more difficult than m/j 2017 though, Expect the threshold to be at around 58 - 62.

Binomial Expansion
(i) a=3

Quadratics
(i) k>9
(ii) k = 11 (tangent)

Series
a = 8000; r = 1.02
(i) T12= 9950 (or EQ) [I too, took n as 13 :( [(cuz it said, the 12th week after the first week, so I did 12+1, oh well) but my ratio was correct, so I guess I'll get 1 mark for that]
(ii) S12 = 107000 [I took n as 12 in part ii lolz, but I wrote my answer as 107300, would a mark be deducted?]

Trig Function (cosine)
f (x) = - a + bcosx
(i) a = 7, b = - 4
(ii) k>3 AND k<11 [I messed this one up, i wrote k =3 and did a little bit of working, would I be given any credit?]

Vectors
(i) People have already posted the answers for the vectors CA & DA, also I don't remember them :p
(ii) Angle CAD = 34.7 (this is the correct answer)

Circular Measure
(i) It was a "show that" question, I'm assuming most of you got it right (so did I)
(ii) Area = 87.8

Coordinate Geometry
(i) h = 2 & k = 36 [MP was (14,10) not (12,10)]

Differentiation/Integration
(i) dy/dx = √4x + 1 ; where c = 1/2 (Equation of line)
(ii) dx/dt = 0.02

Functions
(i) 25 - 2(x+3)^2 [Completing the square]
(ii) Stationary Point (-3, 25)
(iii) k = -3
(iv) g^-1(x) = (25-x/2)^1/2 -3

Trigonometry
(i) - 2sinx + 3cosx =0
= -33.7, Solutions = 146.3, 326.3
(ii) Sketching was pretty straightforward
(iii) The answer to this question was already there in the first part :( x< 146.3 AND x<326.3 [I, unfortunately, got this one wrong, I wrote x>90 and x>146.3, 326.3? lol ik zero there]

Integration
(i) y = x was easily proved, (3=3)
(ii) Volume = 32/3 pi

Good luck for S1/M1 folks!
This dude here is right. All answers are spot on, i am sure these are the answers as I cross checked my answers with all my smart friends and got these.

Reaction score
Asher's long post contains the correct answers. All answers are spot on, i am sure these are the answers as I cross checked my answers with all my smart friends and got these.

Reaction score
Please how do I get these questions I need p11 and P12 I am writing in October/November
You’ll have to wait a while because we just gave this exam less than a week ago. I think the papers will be published after we get our results in August.

Reaction score
Asher's long post contains the correct answers. All answers are spot on, i am sure these are the answers as I cross checked my answers with all my smart friends and got these.
Did you get all of them right? gg, I too was aiming for full marks lol :p (as I did practice A LOT), I just dk how I did those silly mistakes, and btw h = 2 and k = 36, not 3/25.

Reaction score
Did you get all of them right? gg, I too was aiming for full marks lol :p (as I did practice A LOT), I just dk how I did those silly mistakes, and btw h = 2 and k = 36, not 3/25.
Does anyone remember the whole question for this h and K ?I wanna solve it again heheh

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yea, got them all correct. I did get h=2 and k=36