• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Literature-Nervous Conditions-HELP

Reaction score
Does anyone have pointers on how to write analytical essays on novels in general? And if anyone can help with the following specific question, (from the October/November 2011 session), it would be much appreciated...
Discuss the following passage in detail, commenting on how it presents Tambu's character.

"We think of you," said Nyari, who had been my best friend, as I threw my para. "Especially when Nhamo gives us mealies," she said with a sigh. "They are fun to roast after class. If only you were here."

The excerpt ends 35 lines later, after Tambu and Nhamo fight and are separated by Mr. Matimba.

Reaction score
I am appearing for literature as well, but I am doing different novels than yours, but i too want to know the exact structure on how to answer lit questions

Reaction score
Lucky me; my english teacher finally decided to start earning her salary:
  • first-identify the main concerns of the novel, drama etc. and write them down
  • these main concerns eg. abuse of power, alcoholism etc. are the things that the author/playwright is trying to communicate to the reader
  • the novel/drama and metaphor/simile/language/plot and so on are the tools that the author/playwright uses to communicate the main concerns
  • start off with this same basic structure for every question, and shape the content you get out of it to suit the question
  • for eg. if a question asks how violence is a crucial element in your set work, identify how the violent events in the novel/drama help to communicate the concerns, such as dysfunctionality, alcoholism, compromise...
This isn't particularly exhaustive, but I hope it helps.
Good luck