• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

As-Level English Language 8693/12 (HELP REQUIRED)

Reaction score
Hey guys! Please can someone mark one of the papers I did, because I'm writing this exam in extremely short notice, and I dont know if my work is good enough...

Reaction score
Go through the samples given and have a look at how they've answered the question. For the 'commenting' part start by mentioning two important thing: tone and purpose. Also, it is important to identify AND COMMENT ON THE EFFECT CREATED by things like: oxymorons, alliterations, idioms, hyperboles, metaphors, similes and personifications etc. You do not have to comment on ALL of these 'thingies' present in the exam passage 'cuz that'll take waaayyy too long; just mention the important ones with an explanation of the effect they create. In fact there's a text book called 'English Language and Literature' which can be quite helpful. Practise AS MANY PAST PAPERS AS POSSIBLE (preferably from 2008-2012) and make sure you finish in 2 hours 'cuz I found time management difficult at first. For the directed writing bit... It's easy. :p
Just 120 words and 10 marks... Takes me almost 15 minutes, that's all. Make sure you write within the word limit: not too less not a lot.
That's almost all... I'll be giving my exam on the 5th too. Ask me if you want any more details.

And oh! how was your paper 2? :)

whats the world limit for the commentary (15 marker) section???

Reaction score
Hey guys, my paper 1 is in the morning 10 o'clock local time, if anyone is doing it before me(time zones) :D I could use some info on how it was, what was commented and stuff :D

Reaction score
I am also taking the exam and I need help also :/
I really never understood the concept of commenting. My English teachers told me I am narrator, which is problem. Any tips on how to stay on track and not narrate ?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm taking English paper in the PM, afternoon session.

How many words approximately should I write on the (a) commentary part and question (b)? :unsure:
Much thanks and appreciate your help..

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm taking English paper in the PM, afternoon session.

How many words approximately should I write on the (a) commentary part and question (b)? :unsure:
Much thanks and appreciate your help..

3oo-400 on commentting 120-150 on b question.

Reaction score
My English teacher says there's no actual word limit, but you MUST write more than 600 in (A). Question (B) is 120-150 which is mentioned in the question itself.

There's a website www.englishbiz.co.uk which is a bit helpful on analyzing :)

Reaction score
OMG that's too much. I found it really hard to reach 600 words in paper 1.

It can be less, as long as you analyze it properly, and not skim through the important bits. Make sure to get the tone and mood of the passage as well as the purpose.