• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

As-Level English Language 8693/12 (HELP REQUIRED)

Reaction score
I am appearing for As-Level English Language 8693/12 on 5th June. Apart from sample answer on xtreme papers i do not have anything to prepare for this paper. Kindly guide me in this regard, 'as a friend in need is a friend indeed'.
Thank You in Advance :)

Reaction score
Go through the samples given and have a look at how they've answered the question. For the 'commenting' part start by mentioning two important thing: tone and purpose. Also, it is important to identify AND COMMENT ON THE EFFECT CREATED by things like: oxymorons, alliterations, idioms, hyperboles, metaphors, similes and personifications etc. You do not have to comment on ALL of these 'thingies' present in the exam passage 'cuz that'll take waaayyy too long; just mention the important ones with an explanation of the effect they create. In fact there's a text book called 'English Language and Literature' which can be quite helpful. Practise AS MANY PAST PAPERS AS POSSIBLE (preferably from 2008-2012) and make sure you finish in 2 hours 'cuz I found time management difficult at first. For the directed writing bit... It's easy. :p
Just 120 words and 10 marks... Takes me almost 15 minutes, that's all. Make sure you write within the word limit: not too less not a lot.
That's almost all... I'll be giving my exam on the 5th too. Ask me if you want any more details.

And oh! how was your paper 2? :)

Reaction score
Yeah the best way is keep practicing the papers
What else can be useful ? So we comment on just the chunks ? Or I suggest if u can manage time pull out each thread n comment
Why did the writer use this ? What was his purpose ? His tone? U need to basically criticize the whole passage
If anything else useful do let me know I'm appearing on 5th aswell :)

Reaction score
'Or I suggest if u can manage time pull out each thread and comment'?

Yup, what you said in the 2nd last line is correct... You mention whether it makes the reader laugh, or makes the reader keep wanting to read on, or induces fear in the reader, or evokes sympathy from the reader bla bla bla.

Reaction score
Go through the samples given and have a look at how they've answered the question. For the 'commenting' part start by mentioning two important thing: tone and purpose. Also, it is important to identify AND COMMENT ON THE EFFECT CREATED by things like: oxymorons, alliterations, idioms, hyperboles, metaphors, similes and personifications etc. You do not have to comment on ALL of these 'thingies' present in the exam passage 'cuz that'll take waaayyy too long; just mention the important ones with an explanation of the effect they create. In fact there's a text book called 'English Language and Literature' which can be quite helpful. Practise AS MANY PAST PAPERS AS POSSIBLE (preferably from 2008-2012) and make sure you finish in 2 hours 'cuz I found time management difficult at first. For the directed writing bit... It's easy. :p
Just 120 words and 10 marks... Takes me almost 15 minutes, that's all. Make sure you write within the word limit: not too less not a lot.
That's almost all... I'll be giving my exam on the 5th too. Ask me if you want any more details.

And oh! how was your paper 2? :)

Paper 2 went good Alhamdullilah!
Thank You for the guidance! I'll make sure to cover as many pastpapers as i can :)
Yeah just bought that book.
Is there any word limit in commenting question?

Reaction score
Im giving AS english language as well! P1 is always such a drag, not to mention it appears as if the examiners requirements seem to be constantly shifting all the time. All I know yet for sure is that apparently, 2-3 marks are reserved for mentioning the genre of the article and the purpose of the writer :p

Reaction score
Im giving AS english language as well! P1 is always such a drag, not to mention it appears as if the examiners requirements seem to be constantly shifting all the time. All I know yet for sure is that apparently, 2-3 marks are reserved for mentioning the genre of the article and the purpose of the writer :p

I know!! And btw I totally meant to tag you, just forgot xD
Want to pick a paper to do and discuss?

Reaction score
@Jinglex One question, i'm giving both Bio and English on the same day (P5 and P1) both am session. Would you know which one would be first?

Reaction score
i have both on the same day too :( and im not sure, but i think its probably going to be Biology p5 first since thats the one with more students giving it. The one being done by more people at the time is usually the one selected to be done first. I think we have the exact same subjects btw o_O

And yeah sure lets discuss a paper, um, pick one i guess? :p
@Jinglex One question, i'm giving both Bio and English on the same day (P5 and P1) both am session. Would you know which one would be first?

Reaction score
i have both on the same day too :( and im not sure, but i think its probably going to be Biology p5 first since thats the one with more students giving it. The one being done by more people at the time is usually the one selected to be done first. I think we have the exact same subjects btw o_O

Yes im pretty sure we do! Hahahaaaa
Okieee lemee check..
Lets do
-> ON 2012 p 11
--> ON 2010 p13

And discuss those! All 3 passages of both papers! :) message me!
I'll do them first thing tommorow morning and we can discuss then!

Reaction score

You're right, I got my schedule for the day and atleast in my school Bio Ppr 5 is first, a five mine break :p, and then Eng.