• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Level Chem Practical Paper 35

Reaction score
Hi there!!

I'm having Chemistry practical exam (Paper 3) on the 25th of October.
Are there any tips or special techniques that can be shared?

I have a question though..-
Regarding the "maximum error".
For each burette reading, max error = 0.05 cm3 (half the smallest division)
Thus, overall max error = 2 x 0.05 = 0.10cm3 (which is also error per titration)
But recently I've come across an experiment that asks us to find the max error for EACH titre. I put 0.10cm3 as each titre would consist of 2 burette readings (hence 0.05 x 2), but my lecturer said it should be 0.05cm3 instead. I'm confused again @.@
Help..?

Thanks !!

Reaction score
what is hydrogen peroxide used for in salt analysis or to test which cation or anion it is used.

Reaction score
what is hydrogen peroxide used for in salt analysis or to test which cation or anion it is used.
Hino : I have never come across hydrogen peroxide in the qualitative analysis of CIE AS Level so far. I only remember using it when testing for some sort of rate of reaction experiment. :(

Reaction score
hi jia,yes i know its not in the qualitative analysis but just like u said i did come across a practical in which h2o2 was added to an unknown solution of cation and anions and so i was wondering that why did we add h2o2 or what was the purpose of adding it

Reaction score
Can anyone post the download of chemistry and physics practical book so that i can download it.

Reaction score
t
Hi there!!

I'm having Chemistry practical exam (Paper 3) on the 25th of October.
Are there any tips or special techniques that can be shared?

I have a question though..-
Regarding the "maximum error".
For each burette reading, max error = 0.05 cm3 (half the smallest division)
Thus, overall max error = 2 x 0.05 = 0.10cm3 (which is also error per titration)
But recently I've come across an experiment that asks us to find the max error for EACH titre. I put 0.10cm3 as each titre would consist of 2 burette readings (hence 0.05 x 2), but my lecturer said it should be 0.05cm3 instead. I'm confused again @.@
Help..?

Thanks !!

this might be helpful!! http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/tips-for-chemistry-practicals-p3.11810/

Reaction score
its a confirmatory test,

you need to add NaOH followed by H2O2, and if

1) Mn2+ is present, you get an offwhite precipitate formed which turns into a dark brown precipitate on addition of H2O2. Also effervescence occurs (oxygen is released)

2) Cr3+ is present, you get a grey green ppt which dissolves in excess to give a dark green solution, the solution turns yellow on heating with H2O2!