• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry P2 Prep.

Reaction score
what's the difference between Sn1 and Sn2 reactions?
Sn1 reaction for tertiary haloalkanes
Sn2 for primary haloalkanes!
secondary haloalkanes undergo both Sn1 and Sn2 mechanism.

A CARBOCATION IS FORMED IN Sn1 Mechanism
but not in Sn2!

Reaction score
oh ok thanks...do you mind showing me a diagram of the mechanism if you have any?

In Sn2 mechanism a carbon intermediate is formed which is temporarily bonded to five other atoms or groups of atoms and carries a overall negative charge. In Sn1 mechanism the first reaction involving the formation of the carbocation is a slow process and the second step involving the formation of the final product is a faster process. The reaction rate for SN1 only depends on one factor, the conc. of the halogenoalkane. For SN2 the reaction rate depends on both the conc. of halogenoalkane and nucleophile present.

Attachments

• SN1 and SN2 raction pathway.gif
    SN1 and SN2 raction pathway.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
i have question it does not involve past paper though....

1. Construct ionic half equation for:
a) PbO2(s) being reduced to PbSO4(s) in presence of of H2SO4(aq)
b) PbSO4(s) being reduced to Pb(s) in the presence of water.
c) Mow write the balanced equation for the reaction between PbO2 and lead in the presence of dilute sulfuric acid.

please someone EXPLAIN me the steps involved in getting the answer right...

THANK YOU!

Reaction score
okay its kinda weird but i cant get this question right..the answer is 18..im getting 14..

Attachments

• chem1.png
    chem1.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
okay its kinda weird but i cant get this question right..the answer is 18..im getting 14..
Dont just count the number of electrons in the outer shell....it's the TOTAL number of electrons!
Carbon-6
3 hydrogens-1*3
Fluorine-9
Add them all...(6+3+9) you'll get 18!

Reaction score
when 50cm^3 of a hydrocarbon Y is burnt it reacts with exactly 300 cm^3 of oxygen to form 200 cm^3 of C02. water is also formed. deduce the equation for this reaction. answer: C4H8 + 6O2 → 4CO2 + 4H2O..please tell the how to work this one out..its frm chemistry coursebook.

Reaction score
what is redox reaction ??
it is either: a reaction in which both oxidation and reduction occurs
or: a reaction in which either oxidation or reduction occurs ??

Reaction score
when 50cm^3 of a hydrocarbon Y is burnt it reacts with exactly 300 cm^3 of oxygen to form 200 cm^3 of C02. water is also formed. deduce the equation for this reaction. answer: C4H8 + 6O2 → 4CO2 + 4H2O..please tell the how to work this one out..its frm chemistry coursebook.
Take the ratio of the volumes, because mole ratio is volume ratio, then balance the moles of H2O. Then calculate how many C and how many H are there in the products. The no. of C and H will be the same in the hydrocarbon!

Reaction score
Take the ratio of the volumes, because mole ratio is volume ratio, then balance the moles of H2O. Then calculate how many C and how many H are there in the products. The no. of C and H will be the same in the hydrocarbon!
yeah but i cant seem to get the answer..could you do the working please?