• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry P2 Prep.

Reaction score
Mine was good to the extent of getting almost full marks in every question... except the first. I think I'll lose at least 3-6 marks there... >_<
thats really gud, i mean ur only losing 3-6 marks, thats like a definite A , and a high one too :D

Reaction score
buh i thought it was only when an aldehyde is formed that further oxidation results in carboxylic acids

It does not remain an aldehyde... if you used reflux condition, its oxidized to carboxylic acid. If you distilled off the aldehyde as soon as it is formed without letting it oxidize, then it will remain aldehyde... otherwise the product of the oxidation of a primary alcohol is a carboxylic acid.

Reaction score
It does not remain an aldehyde... if you used reflux condition, its oxidized to carboxylic acid. If you distilled off the aldehyde as soon as it is formed without letting it oxidize, then it will remain aldehyde... otherwise the product is a carboxylic acid.
whatever........the answer was HOOCCOOH and the type of reaction was oxidation

Reaction score
It does not remain an aldehyde... if you used reflux condition, its oxidized to carboxylic acid. If you distilled off the aldehyde as soon as it is formed without letting it oxidize, then it will remain aldehyde... otherwise the product is a carboxylic acid.
i know that, buh i dont think ketones can be oxidized further to form carboxylic acids

Reaction score
Question; does it make a difference whether we write a carboxylic acid (say ethanoic acid) as CH3COOH, or CH3CO2H? Because I'm used to writing '-COOH', but the Examiner/Paper Setter always writes '-CO2H'... o_o...

Reaction score
Question; does it make a difference whether we write a carboxylic acid (say ethanoic acid) as CH3COOH, or CH3CO2H? Because I'm used to writing '-COOH', but the Examiner/Paper Setter always writes '-CO2H'... o_o...
its da same thing

Reaction score
i wrote CO2H but i think COOH is also acceptable........(y)

Reaction score
I know that... but we have to be considerate of what the Examiner likes more... if we want an A* instead of an A. o_o;
The examiner isn't there to punish you, they are there to test your knowledge, they will accept both because they are both correct