• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS chem problems here for Oct/Nov session

Reaction score
Guys i have some problems please do help me out here

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    249 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
6) check for oxidation number of nitrogen before and after the reaction.
before:
let the oxidation number of N in NH4+ be x
x+4(4 Hydrogen)=+1
x=-3

let the oxidation number of N in NO3-1 be y
y+3(-2)(3 oxygen)=-1
y=+5

after ther reaction:
let z be the oxidation of N in N20
2(Z)-2=0
z=+1

therefore the change in N is from -3to+1 and +5to+1,ie, +4 and -4

13) There is no change in oxidation number of any coumpound so sulphuric acid is acting as acid.

16) this is a fact based question. Here you must know the mp and ionization energy of period 3 compounds.

20) the only gas non flammable here is oxygen. All the rest catch fire. (NOTE: oxygen doesn't combust but rather supports it)

21) this is the question about free radical reaction. There are 3 places where chlorine free radical can act.
1) CH3CH2C(2CH3)(CH2Cl) (it will only be 1 possibility because no matter which of 3 CH3 you attack Cl, the molecule remains the same)
2) CH3CHClC(3CH3)
3) CH2ClCH2C(3CH3)

32) Check for change in oxidation number. In this case, only 1st equation shows a change in oxidation number. look at bromine in 1st equation. It changes from -1 to 0. In the rest of the equation there is no change in oxidation number of bromine.

Reaction score
for number 6:
since hydrogen is donation 3 electrons so the oxidation number of nitrogen is -3 right???? but then it donates a pair of electron to hydrogen so shoudnt it be +1??? i am sorry i didnt get this part.
please do help
and for redox reaction at this level should always look at oxidation number and nothing else??????

Reaction score
There are 2 ions involved. One is NH4+ and the other is NO3-1. Therefore the sum of charges will be equal to +1 and -1 in respectively. As simple as that.

Reaction score
NH4+ understood but why NO3+?? isnt nitrate ion negetively charged here???