• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology

Reaction score
These questions from Syllabus are killing me. Please someone answer them

Q:state that a gene is a sequence of nucleotides as part of a DNA molecule, which codes for a polypeptide
and state that a mutation is a change in the sequence that may result in an altered polypeptide;

Q:describe the way in which the nucleotide sequence codes for the amino acid sequence in a polypeptide
with reference to the nucleotide sequence for HbA (normal) and HbS (sickle cell) alleles of the gene for
the β -haemoglobin polypeptide;

Reaction score
These questions from Syllabus are killing me. Please someone answer them

Q:state that a gene is a sequence of nucleotides as part of a DNA molecule, which codes for a polypeptide
and state that a mutation is a change in the sequence that may result in an altered polypeptide;

Q:describe the way in which the nucleotide sequence codes for the amino acid sequence in a polypeptide
with reference to the nucleotide sequence for HbA (normal) and HbS (sickle cell) alleles of the gene for
the β -haemoglobin polypeptide;
I think you need to state the base substitution (gene mutation) of the nucleotides which is instead of CTT it became CAT and this changed the normal hemoglobin into sickle cell which lead to a change the β -chains of heamoglobin from carrying oxygen into useless in transporting of oxygen ...