• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Jaf

Reaction score
isn't it loaded into the companion cell via active transport and then from the companion cell to sieve tube by via plasmodesmata by diffusion?
Or am i mixing up things here?:unsure:
Yes, that's how they are loaded at the source but the point is that the sources are the photosynthesising leaves, while the sinks are other parts of the plant, like the roots, storage organs. So, when the sugars are loaded into the sieve elements of the leaves, this means that there is more solute in the phloem sap. If you look at my answers above about solute potential is related to water potential, I have said solute potential is always negative, meaning more solute REDUCES/DECREASES water potential. The key here, to avoid confusion, is to understand that solute concentration is inversely proportional to water potential, and increasing it reduces water potential.

Reaction score
During excercise tidal volume increases and this will decrease Inspiratory Reserve Volume (i.e. the volume of air which u could inhale but dont) - in this case, volume X. Same goes for volume Y. Thing of Reserve Volumes as a Bank of air. When u excercise u take loans of air from ur reserve and this loan is what increases ur tidal volume. Oh and thanks for ur reply up there :)

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
just checked the er and it said vital capacity cannot increase, it's just the tidal vol that increases
That's what I said.

"For TIDAL VOLUME to increase, X and Y will have to decrease."

Reaction score
Yes, that's how they are loaded at the source but the point is that the sources are the photosynthesising leaves, while the sinks are other parts of the plant, like the roots, storage organs. So, when the sugars are loaded into the sieve elements of the leaves, this means that there is more solute in the phloem sap. If you look at my answers above about solute potential is related to water potential, I have said solute potential is always negative, meaning more solute REDUCES/DECREASES water potential. The key here, to avoid confusion, is to understand that solute concentration is inversely proportional to water potential, and increasing it reduces water potential.
thanx, that really helped:)

Reaction score
During excercise tidal volume increases and this will decrease Inspiratory Reserve Volume (i.e. the volume of air which u could inhale but dont) - in this case, volume X. Same goes for volume Y. Thing of Reserve Volumes as a Bank of air. When u excercise u take loans of air from ur reserve and this loan is what increases ur tidal volume. Oh and thanks for ur reply up there :)
that really helped, jazakallah:)

Reaction score
can someone please answer my questionss
1) What to T killer and T helper cells do ?
2) does the loading of sucrose in the phloem seive tube require active transport? or massflow? :S