• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

got another doubt in Q:22 [Ans.B]
Q:23 [can someone explain such types of graphs...really confusing... :confused:]

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s03_qp_1.pdf
22) Pulmonary artery does carry oxygen but that doesn't mean that it has 0% oxygen. :) So ans is B.
23) Pressure in aorta is just going to increase at X which means that blood is just pumped i.e ventricle is contracting & semilunar valves are open. So ans is B.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

I need help with Question 26, 30 ad 32 of Nov 2002 plz...

26 is A

32 is A
26) I don't get it myself. I need to revise this chapter ASAP. :p
30) It is stated in question that u have to determine about normal breathing. So simply multiply tidal volume * min of breathing. Ans is B
32) The most developed heart (healthy) would be which beats less often to provide the same amount of oxygen. So ans is A which has lower pulse rate. :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Babri JazakAllahu khairen for the help.....!!!! May Allah give u success in both worlds...

Reaction score
13) Competitive ihibition so if more substrate then faster reaction as higher chance of substrate colliding with enzyme than inhibitor with enzyme.
21) Use concept of semi-conservative replication. So first generation would be 14,15 & 14,15. Since this is a hybrid it would be heavier than pure N14 but lighter than N15, hence at position Y. For 2nd generation do it again : 14,14 14,15 14,14 14,15. So half at X & half at Y. Ans is C
32)The data gives %age of people in an age group who smoke cigarettes NOT number of people. So ans is D.

Reaction score

Option B states that mitosis plays a role in the growth of cell, that's not true. It plays a role in the replication of cells, and the growth of the ORGANISM. Not the cell. The cell grows during interphase, which is basically it's entire life cycle - mitosis.

You see how subtle change in wording are extremely important in rudimentary biology? :p

Reaction score
I dont get why the ans is C. I think it's D cos all male bees should be genetically identical :(.
It has to be D ! Because 1 and 2 are inter-related. Mitosis produces genetically identical cells therefore both 1 and 2 are correct.
it is c! because meosis division is taking place and not mitosis since haploid no. is involved. and hence all male bees are :)

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

I need help with Question 26, 30 ad 32 of Nov 2002 plz...

26 is A

32 is A
In 26th question , When arterial pressure and blood flow decrease beyond a certain point, the perfusion of the brain becomes critically decreased (i.e., the blood supply is not sufficient) and there would be an increase in [CO2] which would cause a decrease in [O2] ... When such condition prevails , a rise in the the volume of blood being pumped by the heart would be noticed hence causing cause the greatest rise in cardiac output