• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

~AS Bio doubts Here !!~

Reaction score
(a) explain the need for transport systems in multicellular plants and animals in terms of size and surface
area to volume ratios;
(b) define the term transpiration and explain that it is an inevitable consequence of gas exchange in plants;

Reaction score
nidzz: ya i saw in book but i reli dont think it is so important btw wateva i new i wrote it ..thats it i have :)

Reaction score
plz help me for this question..

Explain why sickle cell anaemia is common in areas where malaria is endemic ?

Reaction score
Help In Making Infectious Dieases Notes Urgent!!!!
(a)define the term diease and explain the difference between an infectious disease and non-diseases limited to sickle cell anemia and lung cancer
(b) describe the causes of the following diseases: cholera, malaria, TB, HIV/AIDS, smallpox and measles;
(c) explain how cholera, measles, malaria, TB and HIV/AIDS are transmitted;
(d) discuss the roles of social, economic and biological factors in the prevention and control of cholera,
measles, malaria, TB and HIV/AIDS (a detailed study of the life cycle of the malarial parasite is not
required);
(e) discuss the global patterns of distribution of malaria, TB and HIV/AIDS and assess the importance of
these diseases worldwide;
(f) outline the role of antibiotics in the treatment of infectious diseases

Reaction score
arsimme said:

hey i guess the question yu ask is not correct cuz i know sickle animal is nt common in areas of malaria cuz when a person has sickle anemia the RBC are in an inapporiate form for the plasmodium to exploit as it habit so plasmodium dies no malaria :Yahoo!: as less space in rbc the becume sicke shape rght

Reaction score
arsimme said:

hey i guess the question yu ask is not correct cuz i know sickle animal is nt common in areas of malaria cuz when a person has sickle anemia the RBC are in an inapporiate form for the plasmodium to exploit as it habit so plasmodium dies no malaria :Yahoo!: as less space in rbc the becume sicke shape rght

Reaction score
arsimme said:

Reaction score
nidzzz09 said:
arsimme said:

No i dont think question is wrong cuz i got this question frm past paper only its frm O/N 01 ques no 6 (b) check out :)

Reaction score
arsimme said:
nidzzz09 said:
arsimme said:
ooh haha so u mean i shud not thank u ? :p
ofc You shud :p
hey listen what this prosthetic group attached to Amino acids in haemoglobin
Prosthetic groups

The majority of proteins are assisted in their functions by a prosthetic group. This may a simple metal ion such as zinc in the enzyme carboxypeptidase, or it may be a complex organic molecule, such as the haem group in haemoglobin.

BTw is it included in syllabus ?

You guys make things so complicated. A prosthetic group is an important part of a protein structure which is NOT made out of amino acids.

Reaction score
nidzzz09 said:
CAN anyone give a detail explanation of exocytosis and endocytosis
Look Endocytosis is the engulfing of the material by the plasma membrane to form vacuoles
Examples of endocytosis are Phagocytosis (cell eating) This is lyk this bulk uptake of solid material Like how phagocytes engulf bacteria during immune response
& Pinocytosis (cell drinking) This is the bulk uptake of liquid It's sorto like taking up nutrients from cells surrounding it.
Then exocytosis is pretty much the opposite, Materials are REMOVED from the cell like for example secrection of enzymes. The process goes like first the protien is synthesized by the RER & then the vesicles carry the protien to the cell surface membrane to be released.
As simple as that. Did you get it? :)

Reaction score
nidzzz09 said:
arsimme said:

hey i had problems wid dis same ques..they said somethin about heterozygous carriers and homologus carriers has normal Hb so high at risk of contracting malaria bu i didnt rly get d ques either..was it that u had 2 oppose the ques by saying sickle cell anaemia is NOT common in areas where malaria is endemic????

Reaction score
can someone explain the difference between an antibody and an antibiotic and each of their functions????

Reaction score
aquariangurl said:
nidzzz09 said:
CAN anyone give a detail explanation of exocytosis and endocytosis
Look Endocytosis is the engulfing of the material by the plasma membrane to form vacuoles
Examples of endocytosis are Phagocytosis (cell eating) This is lyk this bulk uptake of solid material Like how phagocytes engulf bacteria during immune response
& Pinocytosis (cell drinking) This is the bulk uptake of liquid It's sorto like taking up nutrients from cells surrounding it.
Then exocytosis is pretty much the opposite, Materials are REMOVED from the cell like for example secrection of enzymes. The process goes like first the protien is synthesized by the RER & then the vesicles carry the protien to the cell surface membrane to be released.
As simple as that. Did you get it? :)
Ya where did the golgi appartus go i guess this how to goes
from RER the protein go to golgi appartus in here it get modified, packed and budds off as vesicle at the other end of the tube it travels to cell membrane ,fuses with it And its then realeased as vescile out of the cell

i suck at explaining ... is this rght