• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Are MUNs of any use?

Reaction score
I have heard some people saying that they help us to get admission in good A level Colleges and Universities but is this really true?Some teachers say that they are of no use and at the end of the day it is grades that matter the most?...Any Views or Opinions?
Speaking as a MUN trainer

There is no use of doing MUNs for participation certificates only, it can help you a lot in getting admission but only if you win a couple of big events too. Try one or two, see if they suit your temperament. They are terribly long and extremely competitive. Some love it, some hate it but that is up to you.

Many people go to MUNs just for fun, an aspect you will discover in detail as soon as you participate in one. Depending on you it may turn out to be complete waste of time or productive learning.

If you are young PreOlevels/Olevels, you are relatively free and can take out time easily. Also starting early will ring you into the "circuit". There are some regular MUNers and after a couple of MUNs with them you encounter them again too sometimes they may even be chairs. And these acquaintances are key to winning as you can work in committee more easily as a known figure.

If you are in Alevels/Uni then its a bit late to make your way in due to study pressure. But if you are determined you can make your way through.

Coming to the advantages, I have not seen anyone go to a MUN , actively participate and still remain shy or under confident in public speaking. It builds your confidence, improves your spoken english and communication and gives you a much wider perspective of stuff. In ,say, interviews this thing is self evident and interviews have a pivotal role in both colleges and unis. Participation alone can enhance your profile but if you want scholarships etc. then you must have won some big events.

Best of Luck and contact me here if you need any help :)

Reaction score
I have heard some people saying that they help us to get admission in good A level Colleges and Universities but is this really true?Some teachers say that they are of no use and at the end of the day it is grades that matter the most?...Any Views or Opinions?
no just waste of time if u go to MUN u compromise on ur studies and then on ur grades...