• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

anyone taking the new english language exam?

Reaction score
Hi guys, is anyone taking the new english exam in may?
I still dont have a grasp on what is about to be tested.
I gonw through the syallbus and the 4 papers on the website but i still dont have the slightest idea of what i should be focused on. Does anyone have class notes they can share or suggestions or even sample responses available ? If so, please share them with me thanks a million !!!!!!!

Reaction score
Who the heck knows? They barely released any resources. Your best bet is to look at some of the AQA past papers related to paper 3 and 4. I don't have a link, my teacher got them for me, but i'm sure you can find them with minor googling.

Reaction score
Paper 3 is a variation of Paper 1, so it shouldn't be too hard.
For Paper 4, question 1, read Exploring Spoken English by Ronald Carter.
For Paper 4, question 2, read English as a Global Language by David Crystal.
For Paper 4, question 3, read The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker.
When I say read, I mean read, read, read and recite by heart. After you know the information try completing the sample questions and scoring yourself with the marking scheme.
Good luck

Reaction score
Well, I'm pumped up for the first English Language paper...

You should be a little creative when you write but also stick to the formalities and answer all the questions they want.
here are some points I made for myself to help answer and it really helps so... I hope it works for you guys as well ^_^

Analyzing passages:
  • Comment on the genre of passage (eg. travel, family, humour, tragedy, war, etc.)
  • Note the type of tone used (formal, informal etc)
  • What audience the passage is aimed at (general, children, adults, young adults etc)
  • Comment on the opening of the passage
  • Describe what the passage is talking about. Pretend you're explaining to someone (formally)
  • Consider the use of verbs and parts of speech that may be used in the passage. Point it out when analyzing the passage and explain how it is used.
  • Find the different types of tones or style in the passages.
If you stick with answering all the points in your commentary, you'll be good to go! ^_^ Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Well, I'm pumped up for the first English Language paper...

You should be a little creative when you write but also stick to the formalities and answer all the questions they want.
here are some points I made for myself to help answer and it really helps so... I hope it works for you guys as well ^_^

Analyzing passages:
  • Comment on the genre of passage (eg. travel, family, humour, tragedy, war, etc.)
  • Note the type of tone used (formal, informal etc)
  • What audience the passage is aimed at (general, children, adults, young adults etc)
  • Comment on the opening of the passage
  • Describe what the passage is talking about. Pretend you're explaining to someone (formally)
  • Consider the use of verbs and parts of speech that may be used in the passage. Point it out when analyzing the passage and explain how it is used.
  • Find the different types of tones or style in the passages.
If you stick with answering all the points in your commentary, you'll be good to go! ^_^ Hope this helps!
Thank you soo much, Im just hoping that it goes by without a hitch!

Reaction score
How many words long should the 'comment on the style and language' questions be?
There is no set requirement, however, i have read that the expected minimum should be at least four paragraphs, including the introduction. Use your time wisely ^^

Reaction score
Hi guys, is anyone taking the new english exam in may?
I still dont have a grasp on what is about to be tested.
I gonw through the syallbus and the 4 papers on the website but i still dont have the slightest idea of what i should be focused on. Does anyone have class notes they can share or suggestions or even sample responses available ? If so, please share them with me thanks a million !!!!!!!

I am. I have nothing though. My teacher is obsessed with teaching her IB kids, and has completely sidelined us in the past year. Most people I know dropped the very idea of taking this up, but not me. Now, I have no idea what to do. I dont have the books, and what I do have- David Crystal- I dont know how to use. So yeah, pretty screwed. Though if they give me Gatsby, I could do it with my eyes closed- so much for IB being oh-so- superior.
If anyone had any samples of writing or tips, do post them. Thanks!