• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Any one there giving Additional Mathematics?

Reaction score
2 get velocity 4rom distance:differentiate
2 get velocity 4rom acceleration:integrate

Reaction score
Hey...

i'm taking add math and i thought i would share this website with anyone who is interested...

www.khanacademy.org

it's this guy from MIT who couldn't figure out why people couldn't understand simple concepts so he posts video tutorials for high school into university kind of stuff for maths physics biology chemistry etc.

i think i learnt more from watching his videos than from my teacher in the past 2 years... check him out, i promise you won't be disappointed...

and here's a link that jumps straight to the velocity thing:

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/projec ... st=Physics

Reaction score
Hey
I'm also giving add math and I concur with Ms123bambi about the utility of khanacademy, it'll help a lot though I don't use the site myself.
Almost all relative velocity questions can be solved remembering the simple formula - velocity of A relative to B = true velocity of A - true velocity of B.
If you write that out, or in directional questions DRAW A VECTOR DIAGRAM (important) it will almost 100% of the time help clarify how to tackle the question.

Aside from the diagram, everything is easy. Sine rule, Cos rule... it's all extended math stuff.
And don't forget to give bearings in 3 digits. For example 28 degrees becomes 028.

Reaction score
@Rashu712 ->You have fun **** :p

And @zkapoor & @Ms123bambi Thanks alot guys :) It helped me alot.By the way from which school you guys are?

Reaction score
Thats great buddy :)
Our Own English High School,Fujairah.UAE

Anyway hows your preparation?

Reaction score
UAE, huh? I've heard that's a pretty fun place.
To be honest, I haven't done too much. All you really can do is practice. I've done 4 practice papers till date, though I've been spending a lot of time revising for Lit paper 5 and Chem cause I'm weaker in those subjects.
How are you preparing? Prac papers of something else?

Reaction score
A question please! Paper 1 Addmaths 0606, yeah, question number 10 from the May/June 2008 paper. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL! Please tell me how it is to be solved!!!!! It is worth 9 marks and i cannot answer it a all!!!!!!!

Reaction score
dancingmaster said:
A question please! Paper 1 Addmaths 0606, yeah, question number 10 from the May/June 2008 paper. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL! Please tell me how it is to be solved!!!!! It is worth 9 marks and i cannot answer it a all!!!!!!!

It's not that hard, haven't you done relative velocity before?
Okay, I'll break it down.
(i) you need the velocity in terms of i and j. Since it's going north east (at an angle of 45 degrees to the north) you can draw an isosceles right angled triangle (i and j are equal).
(15root2)^2 = 2x^2 where x = the number of i or j in the ship's velocity

(ii) easy. 1.5 times ship velocity + initial position vector

(iii) again, easy. t times ship velocity plus initial position vector

(iv) 25kph due north means a velocity of 25j for the submarine
velocity of ship relative to submarine = velocity of ship - velocity of submarine

(v)step 1 - find the time taken.
time taken = position of P - position of Q (this is known as the displacement) divided by velocity of ship relative to submarine.
then multiply the time taken by the velocity of either the ship or the submarine and add the position of either P or Q (P if you use the ship, Q if you use the submarine).

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. We haven't done relative velocity as my teacher told me it wasn't part of our syllabus. Anyways, thanks a lot.