• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Advice to decide, whether to take English Lanaguage (8693)

Reaction score
I am currently an O'Level student (will be Alevel student after this June session), and I am considering my future subject choices. The problem is that I want to take English Language in Alevels, but the Alevel institution of my choice does not offer it. Thus, my question is, it it worth taking English Language privately? The advantages I bring is I am a strong English Language student, and an average English Literature student. If I decide to give it, then should I give it in June, or just give it this October?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I would never recommend someone to give English A Levels unless he wants to go into literature. Honestly there's not a single advantage of giving it unless you want to pursue you career into I don't know something based on your English skills.
What most people don't understand is that English A Levels is not for your everyday use, you'll barely need the stuff and skills you develop in that subject for everyday life.
There are just a few things you need to know before you decide:
  1. If you want to speak good or write good then even the English from O Levels can teach you all you need.
  2. If you plan on using it as an English proficiency proof then let me tell you, I haven't seen a single University that accepts A Level English, you have to give Tofel or Ielts anyways or if you're lucky, some universities accept O Level English.
  3. In some countries, universities do ask for three A Levels and if you want to fulfill that requirement with this then I don't think any university will accept it as a third subject, for Engineering usually they want Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry and for Medicine, they ask for Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry.
  4. A Levels are much (much much much) harder than O Levels. If you think you're good at English and can get a free A or A* with some effort then its not that easy, you need to work very hard to get A or A* in A Levels.
I'm not trying to discourage you, if you like it then go for it, but A Levels is not a joke. I took like 2 extra subjects for O Level and studied for 2 months got A's but after studying the A Levels, I can't imagine taking an extra subject. Its huge and hard, I'm not saying its impossible to get A but its not as easy as in O Levels.

Reaction score
Thanks alot MindStealth, your detailed advice was extremely helpful. Now I have a couple of extra questions, my planned subjects for Alevels are Mathematics, World History, Economics and Psychology (considering dropping Psychology). Now in the future I want to pursue one of the three following professions; working in a marketing department of a multinational, Law or Journalism. Are my subjects appropriate if I want to go in one these fields, or should I consider taking any extra subject. And should I drop Psychology (worried about the stress factor) or is it gonna be useful?

Reaction score
Thanks alot MindStealth, your detailed advice was extremely helpful. Now I have a couple of extra questions, my planned subjects for Alevels are Mathematics, World History, Economics and Psychology (considering dropping Psychology). Now in the future I want to pursue one of the three following professions; working in a marketing department of a multinational, Law or Journalism. Are my subjects appropriate if I want to go in one these fields, or should I consider taking any extra subject. And should I drop Psychology (worried about the stress factor) or is it gonna be useful?
AoA!
Looking at the careers you wish to pursue, Psychology won't be particularly useful since it isn't related to the fields you mention. It's another thing if the subject really interests you. My advice: take subjects that interest and stimulate you most. The career choices will open up at the end. :)
If you're interested in Law and Journalism, you should also consider A'level Law and Media Studies. Maths and World History are two 'powerful' and creditworthy subjects that can definitely give you an edge so I recommend you take them up. (World History is double-credit, too.)
Secondly, it's too soon to be worried about your subject choices. Give your O'levels. You can try out different subjects and change 'em in the first two weeks of your A'level. (I hope your school allows that.)
Best,
'abcde'

Reaction score
hey, i am taking English AS level currently and have ended up with a pretty bad teacher :/
apart from the teacher, the issues we deal with in the class are interesting ones such as racism, education, sexism, marriage youth problems etc. these topics are needed to answer essay based questions in the exam.
moreover, we are studying diary writing, article writing, narrative descriptive and so on which we have studied even in our o levels so its not something out of the world.
overall, you wont be learning something very difficult and it can also be interesting (provided that you have a good teacher) but as someone has mentioned above, it can be a useless subject for many.
although, looking at your career choice, i think English AS can help you in many ways. Journalism, law and marketing all require good english communication skills. :D

Reaction score
Instead of doing AS level English I suggest doing IELTS or TOFEL exam. Its more reliable and more demanded than AS.