• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

acid bases and salts

Reaction score
here is a silly yet challengin question

if they asked us to draw the HCl acid for example
will we draw a covalent or ionic compound?
this questin is confusin me

btw will we be allowed to discuss ordinary practical stuff after the exams finish or what? :geek: :ugeek: :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :geek:

Reaction score
i don't think they'll ask us to draw the ACID, just the gas(the covalent bond) maybe............ :?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
anyhow if they ask we have to draw covalent compound

Reaction score
but if thts the case...
why do we say tht acids got h+ ions
ions r only found in ionic compounds

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
bcuz o read in my book that certain covalent compounds when aqueous contain ions and eg. is HCl
check these differences of metals and non metals abt conductivity!! viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1763

Reaction score
anyways, H+ ions are only formed when hydrogen chloride dissolves in water!!!
It's not called aqueous fro nothing!!

Reaction score
Well , just say HCl is covalent in that case , because it is a 'non-metal' and another 'non-metal' ,But I believe that it is Ionic , because it said that Acids donate a Proton , which means an Electronless Atom and because it became a Positive ion.

Reaction score
well its become ionised when dissolved in water only but as a gas its covalently bonded

Reaction score
niassu said:
well its become ionised when dissolved in water only but as a gas its covalently bonded

Ah , that is correct, I checked it on Wikipedia , Hydrochloric acid is a solution of H3O+ Ions , and Cl- ions , and Hydrogen Chloride is a covalent compound which boils at -85.1C , and melts at -114.2C