• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Accelerated Math or Normal Math in A Levels?

Reaction score
I can't decide whether to take Accelerated Math or Normal Math in A levels. I feel that I am good in Math(I got A* in both Math and Add.Math in O levels) but still I can't decide which one would be better for me so can someone plz give me some guidance on this matter!

Reaction score
I can't decide whether to take Accelerated Math or Normal Math in A levels. I feel that I am good in Math(I got A* in both Math and Add.Math in O levels) but still I can't decide which one would be better for me so can someone plz give me some guidance on this matter!

Your grades in O Levels show that you are quite capable of taking Accelerated Maths. However, you should also take your other subjects into account. Do you think you can manage an A or A* in accelerated maths without compromising the grades in your other subjects?

Reaction score
There's no point taking accelerated. Most importantly because a lot of top universities specifically exclude the accelerated grade attained in offer making.

The only benefit taking accelerated maths to pose is if you also wanted to take Further Maths. Other than that, there's no particular benefit. If anything, it's more of a hindrance.

Reaction score
There's no point taking accelerated. Most importantly because a lot of top universities specifically exclude the accelerated grade attained in offer making.

The only benefit taking accelerated maths to pose is if you also wanted to take Further Maths. Other than that, there's no particular benefit. If anything, it's more of a hindrance.
Really? Is this the case in Pakistani universities or International universities?

Reaction score

Well it is something you should decide yourself, I just gave accel. maths this May/June session and Alhumdulillah I got A* in it and all As in other AS subs which were all sciences so if you are thinking it cant be done then I must tell you it can be done but u need to practice like mad and the most important thing is that come April and May you will find absolutely very little time for the past papers of other subs so if you do take then think if you can make big concessions like can you give up your normal routine for more time with studies if you cant then seriously dont take it you might not only screw this subject up but other subjects also suffer due to it so make sure you know where you are going before you decide :)

Then another point as mentioned above is about taking Further maths after accel. Maths . Well it depends on what you are planning to do, if you are doing Engineering related stuff then definitely you might want to take Further maths as it not only helps later but also increases you admission chances in a good university .
Another point is that most people are scaring you like mad :p believe me they are when you ask them should I take Accel. Maths ? :D Remember the time when you went to take Add Maths in O level some minority did scare you of so if people are scaring you and thats why you are undecided then dont worry abt it just opt for the subject whatever they say :p I did the same thing when every other person around me was freaking me out :D

Lastly its your decision if you want to take go ahead just remember hard work plus since its a maths subject you need to give it time daily ( also something that helps a lot is that Paper 1 of maths for all Add maths students is quite easy so you prolly have to worry a little less abt this Accel maths component and it helps to reduce the burden) .If you do all this believe me you will do well :D

Reaction score
Well it is something you should decide yourself, I just gave accel. maths this May/June session and Alhumdulillah I got A* in it and all As in other AS subs which were all sciences so if you are thinking it cant be done then I must tell you it can be done but u need to practice like mad and the most important thing is that come April and May you will find absolutely very little time for the past papers of other subs so if you do take then think if you can make big concessions like can you give up your normal routine for more time with studies if you cant then seriously dont take it you might not only screw this subject up but other subjects also suffer due to it so make sure you know where you are going before you decide :)

Then another point as mentioned above is about taking Further maths after accel. Maths . Well it depends on what you are planning to do, if you are doing Engineering related stuff then definitely you might want to take Further maths as it not only helps later but also increases you admission chances in a good university .
Another point is that most people are scaring you like mad :p believe me they are when you ask them should I take Accel. Maths ? :D Remember the time when you went to take Add Maths in O level some minority did scare you of so if people are scaring you and thats why you are undecided then dont worry abt it just opt for the subject whatever they say :p I did the same thing when every other person around me was freaking me out :D

Lastly its your decision if you want to take go ahead just remember hard work plus since its a maths subject you need to give it time daily ( also something that helps a lot is that Paper 1 of maths for all Add maths students is quite easy so you prolly have to worry a little less abt this Accel maths component and it helps to reduce the burden) .If you do all this believe me you will do well :D
Thanks for the advice. By the way, is it true that some universities don't recognize the accelerated grade? Do you have any idea regarding this?

Reaction score
As far as I know, universities give extra credit to accelerated Maths because of the difficulty of completing the whole course in 1 year. However there is no point in doing it if you think it will mess up the other subs. As for me, I did accelerated Maths this year and got 87%. My situation was much worse. I have like 6 subjects in A levels and I had only 6 months to complete A level Maths. By February I completed the AS syllabus and then I had like 2 months to prepare for A2. I literally crammed p3 in 10 days :eek: and did s1 in 15 days. I just solved 1 year past paper and gave the exam and still got good marks. So I think you should take accelerated Maths - it's another way to show your potential to the university admission teachers

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. By the way, is it true that some universities don't recognize the accelerated grade? Do you have any idea regarding this?

Yup i second the view of the guy above my post :D So yes it does help and is not what you have mentioned. What do you think if I do a 2 year syllabus in one year and still get A* you will most prolly be considered more to a AS math person when applying early like in january plus you will also have an extra subject in your list of the subs studied as most probably you will take some other subject in the place of Maths . And your value doubles if you have further Maths ;)

Reaction score
Yup i second the view of the guy above my post :D So yes it does help and is not what you have mentioned. What do you think if I do a 2 year syllabus in one year and still get A* you will most prolly be considered more to a AS math person when applying early like in january plus you will also have an extra subject in your list of the subs studied as most probably you will take some other subject in the place of Maths . And your value doubles if you have further Maths ;)

Many 'elite' universities don't count accelerated subjects in their offer making towards 'competitive' subjects as they like to see a student can handle a variety of subjects in a single exam sitting.

Additionally, all universities in the UK explicitly state that subjects taken a year early do not enhance the probability of receiving an offer.

Personally, I don't really see the point of taking accelerated subjects (unless you actually enjoy it or get some sort of shallow ego boost!). Just do them all at once like everyone else.

Reaction score
go ahead man but only take specific subjects at a time ,,,like i know a friend who gave maths nd bio in the first year nd th rest phy nd chem in the second year,,,nd really he rocks ,,,he got A* in 3 subjects and A in one,,,,though its difficult but it can be done for sure,,,,,i hv heard this from few people that marking on accelerated one is a bit lenient a,well i also asked it from my teachers nd most of them agreed ,,, so let it be