• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A Question

Reaction score
My friend recently secured a World Distinction in Pakistan Studies. I have absolutely no frigging idea how the heck he managed to pull that off. I mean, when he told me about it over the phone, I laughed at him and hung up. But boy, was I wrong. I swear on my life that his History paper was an absolute copy of mine. We studied from the same notes. Most of my friends did. But he points out that it was probably his Geography paper that helped him get the Distinction. He rote learned about 15 "note booklets" for the exam. I did 4 past papers. Anyway, I'll stop my rant now.

Their is no official criteria that mentions the requisites for securing a distinction, whether it be local to your city, national or global. But I believe that to attain a distinction, your paper has to fantastic. That doesn't necessarily mean getting full marks, in most cases that is next to impossible (although it would certainly help), it simply means that you have attempt the paper in a very adept and (pardon me for saying this) professional manner. You not only have to possess sound concepts but you must also possess the ability to display said concepts through your writing. The way you compose your paper, your style of writing, your style of thinking, your ideas. Every thing counts.When the examiner goes through what you've drafted, he should be "Wow, this guy know what he's talking about". Now I'm positive as you read this, you still have no clue about how to get distinctions. So let me try to sum it up.

0 Know the syllabus of the exam your attempting like the back of your hand.
0 Give concise and to-the-point answers. This is very important. Always remember, quality > quantity.
0 Keep it simple. Don't go Shakespeare or Einstein on the paper. Keep your head uncluttered and your paper clean.
0 Plan a little before you answer a question.
0 Don't rote learn. Try to dissect a topic and understand it. You will not only remember it better, but you'll also be able to attempt questions better.
0 Display a mature style of thinking.
0 Are you still reading this? Here, have some candy. *soosh*
0 This is all I have. Remember, this is just my personal perception on attaining a distinction. You can take it with a grain of salt. But I hope it helps you in one way or another.