• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level subject recommendations

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i just gave my O'level exams in this May/June 2013 session, and had the following subjects: Math, Urdu B, English Lang, Islamiat, Pakistan Studies, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.....
So i am actually planing to do "Law" in my future(want to become a barrister), keeping that in mind, can anyone help me and suggest as to to what subjects i should take for my A levels, this August....
Any help would be appreciated, Thank You

Other students are also welcome to use this thread for seeking suggestions on their subjects for A levels as well.....

Reaction score
You want to become a Barrister the subjects you will take in A level will not matter much. But want to advice you that never break you relation with Maths so definitely take that. Then you can go with Psychology and Economics as they are interesting and may help you. Then of course you can take Law.. :)

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i just gave my O'level exams in this May/June 2013 session, and had the following subjects: Math, Urdu B, English Lang, Islamiat, Pakistan Studies, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.....
So i am actually planing to do "Law" in my future(want to become a barrister), keeping that in mind, can anyone help me and suggest as to to what subjects i should take for my A levels, this August....
Any help would be appreciated, Thank You
Economics, Law, Maths, English, History and Psychology - This is the perfect combination for Law :)

Reaction score
You want to become a Barrister the subjects you will take in A level will not matter much. But want to advice you that never break you relation with Maths so definitely take that. Then you can go with Psychology and Economics as they are interesting and may help you. Then of course you can take Law.. :)
I actually did some digging my self, and found that some universities offering law don't even suggest taking law in A levels, and even discourage it, what do u say?
And as i had previously taken sciences, would it be a problem if i take Economics directly in A levels without any previous knowledge of it?
And one last thing, most people suggest taking an essay subject, like history or English, any advice?
Any help would be appreciated, Thank You :)

Reaction score
Economics, Law, Maths, English, History and Psychology - This is the perfect combination for Law :)
The same question please; As i had previously taken sciences, would it be a problem if i take Economics directly in A levels without any previous knowledge of it?
And as i plan to take only 3 or 4 subjects, can you narrow down the choices please... considering their importance and all???

Reaction score
The same question please; As i had previously taken sciences, would it be a problem if i take Economics directly in A levels without any previous knowledge of it?
And as i plan to take only 3 or 4 subjects, can you narrow down the choices please... considering their importance and all???
I never studied Economics but a cousin of mine took Economics in A levels and got an A* even though he did not have Economics in O levels......... So yea you can take Economics directly, you just have to work a bit harder than others who had it in O levels......... If you want to take 4 subjects then I would suggest you take Economics, Law, English and Maths, this will build a sound base for Law........... There are no subject requirements for Law courses, so if you are not confident about any of the subjects I mentioned, you can always take the subjects which you are good at. However, I recommend you to take Economics as it is the subject which is valued most by universities.

Reaction score
I never studied Economics but a cousin of mine took Economics in A levels and got an A* even though he did not have Economics in O levels......... So yea you can take Economics directly, you just have to work a bit harder than others who had it in O levels......... If you want to take 4 subjects then I would suggest you take Economics, Law, English and Maths, this will build a sound base for Law........... There are no subject requirements for Law courses, so if you are not confident about any of the subjects I mentioned, you can always take the subjects which you are good at. However, I recommend you to take Economics as it is the subject which is valued most by universities.
Ok, Thank You do much for your help!!

Reaction score
I actually did some digging my self, and found that some universities offering law don't even suggest taking law in A levels, and even discourage it, what do u say?
And as i had previously taken sciences, would it be a problem if i take Economics directly in A levels without any previous knowledge of it?
And one last thing, most people suggest taking an essay subject, like history or English, any advice?
You can definitely go with Economics even if you have no prior knowledge of it and I would suggest you to definitely take it. Then you should take Maths and English as if you don't take English, you will have to give IELTS for admission in foreign universities. Then take Law and Psychology and Law both, I will suggest.....

Reaction score
You can definitely go with Economics even if you have no prior knowledge of it and I would suggest you to definitely take it. Then you should take Maths and English as if you don't take English, you will have to give IELTS for admission in foreign universities. Then take Law and Psychology and Law both, I will suggest.....
So a total of 5 subjects, wouldn't it be a lil too hard??? i mean i personally was thinking to take 4 subjects max..... though, thank you very much for your advice!!

Reaction score
So a total of 5 subjects, wouldn't it be a lil too hard??? i mean i personally was thinking to take 4 subjects max..... though, thank you very much for your advice!!
Dude it depends on your capabilities, I am going with subjects in my A levels.

Reaction score
So i have come the final conclusion that my main subjects will be math, physics n economics.,..... n now i am confused to whether take psychology or sociology or both.... any views about them relating to law???

Reaction score
I'd rather take sociology. As the law mainly deals with the social disputes, welfare we need to learn about social and moral laws and ethics. It might be helpful if you're interested to become a commercial lawyer. Try querying your views about laws at http://www.patterson.co.nz, I bet you'll get a satisfactory response from them within a while. I tried and got benefited.

Reaction score

Giving IELTS is much easier than the hassle English Language puts you through.

I think giving GP also bypasses the IELTS requirement. Much easier + maintenance free subject IMO.

Reaction score
Hello guyz I need help I need some books of computer stud. sociology and environmental management. anybody who is done with these sub plz foward them to me.

Reaction score
Law+history+sociology. I would recommend these subjects.
Well, history is out of the option because i didnt take o level history.... and you need alot of background knowledge....
And do you think sociology is beneficial, because other than get a lot of general knowledge what will i get, considering that they have also removed the part relating to crime!!!
Right now i have decided to take physics, economics and maths as my main...and confused on whether to take psychology or law..... what do you think about this???

Reaction score
You really don't need to worry about not taking history in o levels. My brother had sciences in his o levels. He switched from sciences to humanities in a levels. He has socio+law+history+Gp. The combination fits well. All of these subjects are theoretical due to which they aid each other.
But okay if you have decided to go for phy, Eco and maths. Do go for law.
It has long term benefits. Later when you go for llb and bar it will most certainly help you.

You might ask others. Choose wisely. Good luck.