• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A Level Mechanics: Post your Doubts here

Reaction score
so i guess this is of no use to me as i dont think anyone in this thread takes M2???!!!

Reaction score

Particles A and B, ofmasses 0.2 kg and 0.3 kg respectively, are connected by a light inextensible string.

The string passes over a smooth pulley at the edge of a rough horizontal table. Particle A hangs freely

and particle B is in contact with the table (see diagram).

(i) The system is in limiting equilibrium with the string taut and A about to move downwards. Find

the coefficient of friction between B and the table. [4]

A force now acts on particle B. This force has a vertical component of 1.8N upwards and a horizontal

component of X N directed away from the pulley.

(ii) The system
is now in limiting equilibrium with the string taut and A about to move upwards.

Find X.

Please can someone explain me part ii and what difference does it make if a is going up or down?? HELPPPP PLS

Reaction score
heyy guys , wud be really grateful if someone could post the link of the mech book by bostock chandler .. thnkss