• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level difficultly level? & Career Choices

Reaction score
Heya peeps,
Straight to the point. I scored 3A*s,5As in my IGCSE/GCE subjects. Since, olevels is kinda a new thing in our area, (yeah I know), I was forced to take fsc cuz medical and stuff but being the rebellious me, I went for A levels .
But what bothers me is that I chose "Physics, Mathematics, biology & Chemistry " for my As. But YouTube is filled with "Don't have high expectations from A levels " s & "How sixth form can end your career "and etc etc.
Secondly, I don't really fancy medical, but I am good in biology & I enjoy it.(That's why I chose Biology, & it can be a safe path in case) What I do want is go for engineering, most likely Civil that's why I chose math .
Now the real question is "Would I be able to ace these subjects, cuz from what I hear is chemistry coupled with Math is hell" From a scale of 5 to 10… how much do you think sixth form is tough?
& Is there scope for Civil Engineering in Pakistan for girls?
PS I'm crap at Chem, Idk how I got A in IGCSE. & I'm okay with studying extra for A levels if it promises good grades.

Reaction score
Heya peeps,
Straight to the point. I scored 3A*s,5As in my IGCSE/GCE subjects. Since, olevels is kinda a new thing in our area, (yeah I know), I was forced to take fsc cuz medical and stuff but being the rebellious me, I went for A levels .
But what bothers me is that I chose "Physics, Mathematics, biology & Chemistry " for my As. But YouTube is filled with "Don't have high expectations from A levels " s & "How sixth form can end your career "and etc etc.
Secondly, I don't really fancy medical, but I am good in biology & I enjoy it.(That's why I chose Biology, & it can be a safe path in case) What I do want is go for engineering, most likely Civil that's why I chose math .
Now the real question is "Would I be able to ace these subjects, cuz from what I hear is chemistry coupled with Math is hell" From a scale of 5 to 10… how much do you think sixth form is tough?
& Is there scope for Civil Engineering in Pakistan for girls?
PS I'm crap at Chem, Idk how I got A in IGCSE. & I'm okay with studying extra for A levels if it promises good grades.
Well first of all u took the right decision.... Equivalence isnt affected heavily by A levels muc so getting good grades in O levels means good chances to get admission in Pakistan Universities.
Secondly dont look through youtube for these sort of things... If u work hard, u can do it... Its peoples' opinion.... Some will say its easy compared to Fsc and some will say its harder. Its not too much unexpected but yes it can be unexpected for those who either thought that if they get the wrong answer- all of their marks are gonna be deducted or the ones who think that they perform great but actually didnt!
I have 3A*s 4As and 3Bs in O levels IGCSE/GCE.... Well I was expecting 8A*/As but even this isnt bad... I didnt get good teachers in O levels so I end up with too many Bs... But I changed my school in A levels. And luckily I got epic teachers who actually trained me well....
In A levels at first I was expecting AABC but when I saw previous grade thresholds and the markschemes, I estimated my marks to 2A* and 2As.... But my estimation wasnt 100% correct...
The thing is that people expect too much and than forget to consult the latest markschemes... They think they made less mistakes but it isnt true... Even I was shocked to see my silly mistakes in the markschemes of A levels...
Well the thing im telling u is that its not unexpected in a sense that u get what u do but it can be unexpected if u think u did really well but actually u made a mess in the paper...

Dont over burden urself if u dont wanna go medical for sure... But yes if u think u are interested in medical than i'll suggest- go for it... And an extra A wouldnt hurt anyone rite? So bio is a good option... Only thing is that u have to learn too much in bio... Again if u are interested, a wise choice.

Well chemisty and math isnt that much hell... Maths is pretty easy if u concentrate and practice on daily basis. And for chemistry, the only toughest thing is organic chemistry... If you learn organic perfectly, ur 50% marks are sure to come because examiner loves organic questions and the weightage of this section is pretty high!
Well it isnt tough unless u learn by concepts... Sorry I dont have much info on Civil engineering :/

PS: I suck at chem too and surprisingly I also got A(a) in O levels and also in A levels

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well firstly you did it right .............. you can nail A levels if you do decent hard work and about the career path engineering is wonderful ......... it's the construction of your imagination ........... but I am not a big fan of civil engineering .......... there are plenty of fields which could be better like robotics or electronic engineering.
But bear this in mind do your A levels from a reputable institute

Reaction score
I just wanted to add, there are plenty of fields you can enter through learning biology other than medicine.
Also, with hard work anything is possible.
Many of my classmates took the subjects you are going to, and some of them got all 4 A's.
For all the subjects, learn the concepts well, do past papers and LEARN from mistakes, don't memorize mark schemes, read examiner reports for some papers, and you should be good to go!
Post your doubts on the specific threads here for each subject. I'm sure they will be answered.
I believe that the world is changing, and opportunities for girls are opening up in countries like Pakistan as well. Therefore, if you are interested in becoming a civil engineer, I'd say go for it!

Reaction score
I just wanted to add, there are plenty of fields you can enter through learning biology other than medicine.
Also, with hard work anything is possible.
Many of my classmates took the subjects you are going to, and some of them got all 4 A's.
For all the subjects, learn the concepts well, do past papers and LEARN from mistakes, don't memorize mark schemes, read examiner reports for some papers, and you should be good to go!
Post your doubts on the specific threads here for each subject. I'm sure they will be answered.
I believe that the world is changing, and opportunities for girls are opening up in countries like Pakistan as well. Therefore, if you are interested in becoming a civil engineer, I'd say go for it!

https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/need-help-i-am-an-extremely-confused-mess.42063/
please answer this as well if you have the time..

Reaction score
Well first of all u took the right decision.... Equivlance isnt affected heavily by a levels so getting good grades in o level means good chances to get admission in Pakistan Universities.
Secondly dont look through youtube for these sort of things... If u work hard, u can do it... Its peoples' opinion.... Some will say its easy compared to Fsc and some will say its harder. Its not too much unexpected but yes it can be unexpected for those who either thought that if they get the wrong answer- all of their marks are gonna be deducted or the ones who think that they perform great but actually didnt!
I have 3A*s 4As and 3Bs in O levels IGCSE/GCE.... Well I was expecting 8A*/As but even this isnt bad... I didnt get good teachers in O levels so I end up with too many Bs... But I changed my school in A levels. And luckily I got epic teachers who actually trained me well....
In A levels at first I was expecting AABC but when I saw previous grade thresholds and the markschemes, I estimated my marks to 2A* and 2As.... But my estimation wasnt 100% correct...
The thing is that people expect too much and than forget to consult the latest markschemes... They think they made less mistakes but it isnt true... Even I was shocked to see my silly mistakes in the markschemes of A levles...
Well the thing im telling u is that its not unexpected in a sense that u get what u do but it can be unexpected if u think u did really well but actually u made a mess in the paper...

Dont over burden urself if u dont wanna go medical for sure... But yes if u think u are interested in medical than i'll suggest- go for it... And an extra A wouldnt hurt anyone rite? So bio is a good option... Only thing is that u have to learn too much in bio... Again if u are interested, a wise choice.

Well chemisty and math isnt that much hell... Maths is pretty easy if u concentrate and practice on daily basis. And for chemistry, the only toughest thing is organic chemistry... If you learn organic perfectly, ur 50% marks are sure to come because examiner loves organic question and the weightage of this section is pretty high
Well it isnt tough unless u learn by concepts... Sorry I dont have much info on Civil engineering :/

PS: I suck at chem to and surprisingly I also got A(a) in O levels and also in A levels
That cleared up so much! Thanks A bunch mate! Organic Chemistry is kinda my strong subject, IA I"ll ace it. And Congratulations on your result. :D

Reaction score
Well firstly you did it right .............. you can nail A levels if you do decent hard work and about the career path engineering is wonderful ......... it's the construction of your imagination ........... but I am not a big fan of civil engineering .......... there are plenty of fields which could be better like robotics or electronic engineering.
But bear this in mind do your A levels from a reputable institute
THANKS! yeah, chose Roots Millennium School. I guess that's good for As?

Reaction score
That cleared up so much! Thanks A bunch mate! Organic Chemistry is kinda my strong subject, IA I"ll ace it. And Congratulations on your result. :D
Yes it use to be my strongest chapter too until May/June 2015 second organic question came(Q6 i guess) .__.
Well thanks and same to u :)

Reaction score
THANKS! yeah, chose Roots Millennium School. I guess that's good for As?
BTW believe in gender equality ........ never let yourself down about this ........... Secondly don't choose your subjects by reflecting the number of fields they open ....... With a sound mind just decide both cases ........ If you want to be an engineer then excel in it ....... don't be the jack of all trades but master of none ...... be a perfectionist !! Secondly choose your subject according to that particular field ..... you may take further maths if you want to go or engineering

Reaction score
You've probably been told this before, but remember, A-Levels is not the same as O-Levels. You might be thinking, well duh - of course it isn't, but a lot of people coming from O-Levels with 6, 7 or 8A's get over confident. They think they easily ace the papers and what not, but in my experience, an A-Level subject is x5 more difficult then its O-Level counterpart. So do not let your 8A's lull you into a false sense of security. In A-Levels, you need to work your ass of to get A's. I personally know people with 7 and 8A's getting B's, C's and D's. However, as scary as that might sound, there is no substitute for hard work. If you work hard, then there nothing stopping you from getting as many A's as you want. Best of luck for your future!

Reaction score
You've probably been told this before, but remember, A-Levels is not the same as O-Levels. You might be thinking, well duh - of course it isn't, but a lot of people coming from O-Levels with 6, 7 or 8A's get over confident. They think they easily ace the papers and what not, but in my experience, an A-Level subject is x5 more difficult then its O-Level counterpart. So do not let your 8A's lull you into a false sense of security. In A-Levels, you need to work your ass of to get A's. I personally know people with 7 and 8A's getting B's, C's and D's. However, as scary as that might sound, there is no substitute for hard work. If you work hard, then there nothing stopping you from getting as many A's as you want. Best of luck for your future!
100% true! People with 10A*s are getting Bs while ppl with 3-4As are getting straights A/A*s in A levels and thats the major reason.... OVERCONFIDENCE!