• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
can someone explain this question please ? The largest organelle is nucleus so that would be in solid pellet 1 the next largest is mitochondrion(as in an animal cell no chloroplasts) so solid pellet 2 is mitochondrion then the next largest is nucleolus so thats solid pellet 3 and solid pellet 4 is the lysosomes isnt it ? the examiner report says that in solid pellet 4 its the ribosome thus the answer is D synthesis of protein . Can anyone explain why ?upload_2018-6-3_20-8-29.png

Reaction score
can someone explain this question please ? The largest organelle is nucleus so that would be in solid pellet 1 the next largest is mitochondrion(as in an animal cell no chloroplasts) so solid pellet 2 is mitochondrion then the next largest is nucleolus so thats solid pellet 3 and solid pellet 4 is the lysosomes isnt it ? the examiner report says that in solid pellet 4 its the ribosome thus the answer is D synthesis of protein . Can anyone explain why ?View attachment 63806
Maybe the nuclear envelope is also broken down or else how would the nucleolus in C be obtained

Reaction score
Screenshot_20180603_221134.png

I know that antibodies are broken down but how is statement 1 wrong? The answer is C

Screenshot_20180603_220656.png

Plz explain the graph for velocity and area anyone
Answer is C

Reaction score
View attachment 63807

I know that antibodies are broken down but how is statement 1 wrong? The answer is C

View attachment 63809

Answer is C

For 35
Immunity cannot be inherited because the person has to show an immune response to gain immunity ( develop memory B lymphocytes and memory T lymphocytes)
Statement 1 says immunity can be inherited which is wrong thats why option C is correct

Reaction score
View attachment 63807

View attachment 63809

Answer is C
For 27
You can definitely identify Y as the velocity of blood flow because the velocity of blood flow is slowest in capillaries giving time for exchange of substances to happen so definitely it would be C

Reaction score
View attachment 63807

View attachment 63809

Answer is C
Velocity gradually decreases as blood moves away from the heart the blood pressure decreases across the capillaries bcoz lumen decreases blood is divided into the networks in addition substances pass out of the capillaries so obviously blood pressure decreases

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm a lil bit confused about the cross sectional area...is it the area of the whole vessel or just it's lumen? And if it is the whole, then how can capillaries have the maximum?

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm a lil bit confused about the cross sectional area...is it the area of the whole vessel or just it's lumen? And if it is the whole, then how can capillaries have the maximum?
I don't think you need to go that deep lul

Reaction score
need help!

(9700/12/M/J/14)

Q37) An antiserum to a snake toxin can be obtained by injecting the toxin into a horse. The antiserum is made from blood plasma taken from the horse a few weeks later. The antiserum is injected into a person who has been bitten by the same species of snake.

What type of immunity occurs as a result of this antiserum?

A) artificial active
B) artificial passive
C) natural active
D) natural passive

answer is B

Reaction score
As it is not produced naturally and is injected,it is artificial.
Now antibodies are introduced directly through injection,not pathogen against which body itself produce antibodies,so Artifical PASSIVE