• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
yes, X is rough endoplasmic reticulum. the function of the rough endoplasmic reticulum is to manufacture proteins as well as transport them via vesicles so the answer is D
But the mark scheme says it's A

Reaction score
upload_2018-6-2_22-24-28.png
Guys can u confirm my answers? (These are classifieds and their MS is unreliable)
47-A
33-B
37-D
right?

Reaction score
If X is pointing at ribosomes only then it's protein synthesis, if it's pointing at the ER then it's protein synthesis and transportation so it's either C or D not A or B at all...
is ur marking scheme the actual MS or a topical paper MS?

Reaction score
If X is pointing at ribosomes only then it's protein synthesis, if it's pointing at the ER then it's protein synthesis and transportation so it's either C or D not A or B at all...
is ur marking scheme the actual MS or a topical paper MS?
agreed!

Reaction score
never thought id say this but i think the marking scheme youre referring to is wrong. lipid synthesis only occurs in mitochondria and smooth endoplasmic reticulum and the label doesnt point to either of these organelles

Reaction score
Ohhhhh I'm really sorry guys, it was D
Sorry for disturbing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180602_234802.png
    Screenshot_20180602_234802.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
So it's C here
IMG_20180603_001041.JPG

Just wanted to confirm that are alveoli inflamed during emphysema? And what about bronchi...are they too inflamed??

Reaction score
Can anyone explain this question?
View attachment 63790
tar in cigarette smoke damages the gas exchange system. it inhibits the function of the cilia and stimulates goblet cells to secrete more mucus, which means that tar directly affects ciliated epithelial cells (labelled as Y in the diagram) and goblets cells (labelled as X in the diagram). so the answer is B (i guess)!

Reaction score
So it's C here
View attachment 63787

Just wanted to confirm that are alveoli inflamed during emphysema? And what about bronchi...are they too inflamed??
i just did this question and got pretty confused. thought the answer was D but marking scheme says its C. thought only emphysema damages the alveoli but turns out chronic bronchitis too damages the alveoli

Reaction score
i just did this question and got pretty confused. thought the answer was D but marking scheme says its C. thought only emphysema damages the alveoli but turns out chronic bronchitis too damages the alveoli
But I think inflammation does not occur in chronic bronchitis