• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 53216
Answer's B
but doesn't it also only occur in A and D?
what else occurs in A and D then? :S
It cannot be A because production of antibodies contains many processes like translation transcription blabla..
B is correct.
C is wrong it's meiosis
D is wrong as well, root hairs are tubular outgrowths, so it's just a part of a cell becoming extended:
upload_2015-5-7_17-16-23.png

Reaction score
the lug worm lives in a burrow in the sand just above low water mark.it has haemoglobin in its blood. at low tide it retreats to its burrow and shuts itself.....it is cut off from external sources of oxygen until the sea water returns....what dissociation curve for haemoglobin????
closer to % saturation axis or closer to partial pressure of o2 axis??
Well the way i think of this is...
It has overall less partial pressure of oxygen.. So it needs to pick up oxygen at low partial pressure... But also let go of this oxygen at even lower partial pressures. So you just squeeze it towards the y-axis...
upload_2015-5-7_17-23-19.png

Reaction score
Wow in that case it may be in the syllabus... But here's how you do it:
Gross primary productivity is how much chemical energy a plant has made.
First trophic level in the diagram are the producers, since they're gaining energy from the Sun.
It says they had 23000 energy.
So GPP = 23,000
The third trophic level are the secondary consumers... what they leave behind is what is "available" to the tertiary consumers...
So whats left? Subtract all the losses!
left = 23,000 - 8000 - 10,500 - 4200 = 300 energy
So percentage = 300 / 23,000 x 100% = 1.3%

Reaction score
View attachment 53227
doesnt co2 have higher affinity to o2?
but then its b??? how? :/
Actually haemoglobin has very little affinity for carbon dioxide... Only 10% of carbon dioxide joins with its amide terminal to form carbaminohaemoglobin. Haemoglobin has iron atoms dedicated for bonding with oxygen. However, the problem is that CO has 250 times more affinity, so it bonds usually irreversibly with haemoglobin. Imagine how much fun next year will be learning structure of haem group!

Reaction score
Actually haemoglobin has very little affinity for carbon dioxide... Only 10% of carbon dioxide joins with its amide terminal to form carbaminohaemoglobin. Haemoglobin has iron atoms dedicated for bonding with oxygen. However, the problem is that CO has 250 times more affinity, so it bonds usually irreversibly with haemoglobin. Imagine how much fun next year will be learning structure of haem group!
haha okay thanks! i was confuse cause we have the bohr shift and all which shows that hb has more affinity for co2 so o2 is released etc... :p
Yeah next years gonna be total fun! :/

Reaction score
haha okay thanks! i was confuse cause we have the bohr shift and all which shows that hb has more affinity for co2 so o2 is released etc... :p
Yeah next years gonna be total fun! :/
Bohr shift occurs because of the H+ ions... Not CO2 molecules... H+ ions bind to form HHb, which alters haemoglobin shape... So makes it lose affinity for oxygen.

Reaction score
I know its late but anyway here are some questions and answers( sorta notes) for paper 1 Biology. :)(And like I said before a question may have more answers but I've mentioned the one according to the question)

Attachments

• TRANPORT IN PLANTS.docx
    16.8 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
They tell us the small divisions on stage micrometer is 0.1mm in width.
So:
40 units of eyepiece = 0.1 mm [as seen in the diagram]
1 unit of eyepiece = 0.1 mm /40= 0.0025mm = 2.5 micrometer
I can't see the diagram clearly but it seems like the width of a chloroplast is around 4 eyepiece units...
4 unit of eyepiece = 4 x 2.5 micrometer = 10 micrometer...

Reaction score
So:
I can't see the diagram clearly but it seems like the width of a chloroplast is around 4 eyepiece units...
You had previously posted a blue picture with some text where is that? I can't find it.
Ty

Reaction score
I know its late but anyway here are some questions and answers( sorta notes) for paper 1 Biology. :)(And like I said before a question may have more answers but I've mentioned the one according to the question)
It's never too late :) Thanks.

Reaction score
PLEASEEEE someone explain this method to me Im not able to do any of these questions please help my exam's tomorrow
11160221_10204517600243144_750592502_n.jpg

Reaction score
PLEASEEEE someone explain this method to me Im not able to do any of these questions please help my exam's tomorrow
View attachment 53235
So: