• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Albumin is the most abundant plasma protein.
Suggest why it is important that capillary walls should not be permeable to albumin?
i think should mention that it will affect the osmoregularity, will create low wp in the interstitial space leading to oedema...
what does the ms say?

Reaction score
http://freeexampapers.com/A-Level/Biology/CIE/2012-Nov/9700_w12_qp_21.pdf

Question 3 - b - ii

It shows 3 divisions taking place in that time by mitosis
In mitosis, after every division, 2 daughter cells (in this case blood cells) are produced
So shouldn't it be 6 cells produced and not 3...?
You meant Q3 a]ii] ?
each time a stem cell divides, it forms one stem cell and one cell that develops into a blood cell (written in start of the question)
The questions asks "how many blood cells?" so out of the 6 cells produced, 3 will be blood cells.

Reaction score
marking scheme often mentions about natural disasters & lack of rehydration therapy causing the spread of cholera.. can somebody explain how?

Reaction score
You meant Q3 a]ii] ?
each time a stem cell divides, it forms one stem cell and one cell that develops into a blood cell (written in start of the question)
The questions asks "how many blood cells?" so out of the 6 cells produced, 3 will be blood cells.
Oh haha okay thanks! That tells me to read and highlight the key points tomorrow! :p

Reaction score
i think should mention that it will affect the osmoregularity, will create low wp in the interstitial space leading to oedema...
what does the ms say?
Oh good! That seems logical! Thanks! :)
Actually it was a question from a worksheet i had so it doesn't have any answers :/

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas which chapters will be coming for sure this time? :/ Anyways good luck everyone!

Reaction score
In the nitrogen cycle what is the nitrification process with the bacterial enzymes?

NH4+ ---(nitrosomonas)---> NO3- ------(nitrobacter)-----> NO2-

Is this correct?

Reaction score
so what can never be seen on a light micro? and no antigenic variation is when it changes its antigen! during mutation to develop resistance it doesn't change its antigen! but it actually changes the target sites for antibiotics. for example the shape of active site of an enzyme the antibiotic used to inhibit etc.
Endoplasmic Reticulum cannot be seen under a light microscope.
Ribosomes cannot be seen
Nucleolus cannot be seen
Can't think of anything else...

Reaction score