• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Actually you get to learn that in A2 syllabus. It is exocytosis, if you are going to consider Protein Synthesis. So after the whole process, the golgi apparatus starts pinching into shuttle vesicles that move on the cell surface membrane and fuse with and secrete the enzymes, proteins etc. So in this specific motion, those vesicles will be moving towards the CSM not the other way round. The question also mentioned 'concentrated', this probably means that when taking in large molecules, the conc is low and it starts building up at the RER... Besides, that co-transporter thing is sometimes known as Indirect Active transport. Moreover,after further research, Amino Acids are taken in by Endocytosis, Active transport(both forms), Facilitated diffusion. There isn't a specific way :(
yeahh but the question says " are introduced into a cell" doesn't that mean its actually ENDocytosis

Reaction score
"Mass flow during translocation" refers to movement inside a phloem, not xylem. So it can't be C!
Oh Right! :p
But then i still don't understand how it affects the cohesion between water molecules... I mean that cohesion is a property of water... how will the fungi growing affect it... by making water less attracted to each other?... I thought it can affect adhesion but how cohesion?

Reaction score
But then i still don't understand how it affects the cohesion between water molecules... I mean that cohesion is a property of water... how will the fungi growing affect it... by making water less attracted to each other?... I thought it can affect adhesion but how cohesion?
The fungi are growing in the xylem.
1) development of root pressure cannot be affected be this, since this is done in the roots by cells releasing ions, not xylem.
2) translocation cannot be affected, since this is about phloems.
3) uptake of water by root hair cells cannot be affected, since this happens in the root hair cells, not xylem
4) finally, cohesion is an essential property of water required for effective mass flow of water through the xylem, I'm not 100% sure how exactly the fungi may affect this, but presumably their growth there affects the water: perhaps water molecules are attracted to stuff in the fungi (maybe hydrophilic cell membrane)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The fungi are growing in the xylem.
1) development of root pressure cannot be affected be this, since this is done in the roots by cells releasing ions, not xylem.
2) translocation cannot be affected, since this is about phloems.
3) uptake of water by root hair cells cannot be affected, since this happens in the root hair cells, not xylem
4) finally, cohesion is an essential property of water required for effective mass flow of water through the xylem, I'm not 100% sure how exactly the fungi may affect this, but presumably their growth there affects the water: perhaps water molecules are attracted to stuff in the fungi (maybe hydrophilic cell membrane)
Guys try checking Nov 2004 P1 Q 30, it is the same question but the answer is ' conduction in the apoplast'
Conduction in the apoplast depends upon the cohesive forces, and therefore I think that qwertypoiu is right, maybe it attracts water towards it or something like that. :D

Reaction score
Guys I need help with nov 2003 p1 bio Q25 and june 2008 q27 P1 . They are both the same question but both have different answers. How is that ? :O :O

Reaction score
Guys I need help with nov 2003 p1 bio Q25 and june 2008 q27 P1 . They are both the same question but both have different answers. How is that ? :O :O
they are not the same one is about solute potential and one is about solute concentration
this makes the 2 questions different as solute potential is the opposite of solute concentration:)

Reaction score
Guys try checking Nov 2004 P1 Q 30, it is the same question but the answer is ' conduction in the apoplast'
Conduction in the apoplast depends upon the cohesive forces, and therefore I think that qwertypoiu is right, maybe it attracts water towards it or something like that. :D
Wow sorry I meant to say thanks for this lol :)