• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
but why would trachea and bronchiole need elastic fibres :confused:
the alveolus stretches and recoils due to the air flow but i dnt see why trachea or bronchiole need it :confused:

could be wrong :/ anyone else knw?
actually yes, Trachea and bronchioles do have elastic fibres. They allow the lumen to dilate.

You can actually check this from SUMMER 2010/22 Question 5.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Capture.JPG
Can someone give me a list of HIV, TB and Measles having what of the column headings given in the table ?
The answer is D
... So what doesn't have a cell membrane etc...?

Reaction score
Well I'm not taking Chem but I found this way, it is the easiest according to me. So basically if you dissolve the Molar Mass in 1dm3 of water you get a 1 mol solution. The calculation is as follows in the image attached. So if the question asked for other values, you will just plug them in into the working etc :D
i don't get why when i add te 85g to 1 dm^3 i get 1 mole:confused:, like is it fixed with any other molar mass. What's the use of that step anyway

Reaction score
Ok so the order is as follows :-
- Disulphide
- Ionic
- Hydrophobic Int
- Hydrogen

Broken by temperature :- Mostly hydrogen and hydrophobic
Broken by pH :- Hydrogen and Ionic

Disulphide are the strongest and they are covalent bonds. To break them, you have to add special reducing agents. Moreover, hydrogen are the weakest and literally anything could break them.
Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Probably the one mentioned here:
The book is actually Biology Coursebook Third Edition:
51juO0UXA4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On page 180, question 7, there's a table which compares the structure of trachea and respiratory bronchiole, and the answer is like this:upload_2015-4-24_16-44-0.png

upload_2015-4-24_16-44-0.png

So yeah, I was expecting the bottom row to be both crosses, but found out otherwise

Reaction score
The book is actually Biology Coursebook Third Edition:
51juO0UXA4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On page 180, question 7, there's a table which compares the structure of trachea and respiratory bronchiole, and the answer is like this:View attachment 52418

View attachment 52418

So yeah, I was expecting the bottom row to be both crosses, but found out otherwise

but why do they ve elastic fibres :confused:

Reaction score
View attachment 52414
Can someone give me a list of HIV, TB and Measles having what of the column headings given in the table ?
The answer is D
... So what doesn't have a cell membrane etc...?
Cell membrane:
  • HIV does not have a cell membrane, it is a virus, when it enters a T-helper lymphocyte it can replicate and viruses will bud out from it, with membranes from the host cell, but the virus originally never had a membrane.
  • TB is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis or Mycobacterium bovis, both of which are bacteria. Therefore, they have cell surface membranes.
  • Measles is caused by a species of genus Morbillivirus, which is a virus. Again like HIV it doesn't originally have a membrane.
Genes:
  • They all have genes, the bacteria have circular DNA, the viruses have either RNA or DNA.
Ribosomes:
  • Ribosomes are found in all living cells, bacteria have them (Remember 70S ribosomes?)
  • Viruses are not living things (although some scientists say otherwise), just infective agents, they don't contain ribosomes. In fact, all viruses have is 1. DNA/RNA 2. protein coating to protect DNA/RNA 3. Sometimes a lipid coating around this protein coating to protect it while outside (when it is not in a host cell yet)
Respiration:
  • All living things respire, but like above, viruses are usually not considered living. So bacteria respire but viruses do not.
Cool stuff about virus:
  • viruses do not respire,
  • nor do they display irritability;
  • they do not move
  • and nor do they grow,
  • however, they do most certainly reproduce, and may adapt to new hosts.
  • Viruses may be defined as acellular organisms whose genomes consist of nucleic acid, and which obligately replicate inside host cells using host metabolic machinery and ribosomes to form a pool of components which assemble into particles called VIRIONS, which serve to protect the genome and to transfer it to other cells. (basically they use organelles of living host cells, they don't have anything of their own)

Reaction score
Which one? My book? in that case not in the text, but this answer to End Of Chapter question implies this
same here

http://alevelnotes.com/The-Lungs/169?tree=

they said this
  • The smooth muscle allows the Lumen (the inside space) to constrict, by contracting. This is useful if there are harmful substances in the air, as is minimises the amount of the substances that can be breathed in.
  • The elastic fibres allow the lumen to Dilate (widen) after the smooth muscle has contracted and then relaxed

Reaction score
i don't get why when i add te 85g to 1 dm^3 i get 1 mole:confused:, like is it fixed with any other molar mass. What's the use of that step anyway
It depends on the solution. You see if they wanted NaCl solution, you will find the Molar Mass(normally given) + 1 dm3 of water to give 1 mol solution.
If they asked you for a specific value of lets say 2 mol solution, then Molar mass * 2
Same way with 0.5 mol, Molar Mass* 0.5
The only reason we divided by 1000 was because they asked us to get the solution in m mol not mol :)

Reaction score
same here

http://alevelnotes.com/The-Lungs/169?tree=

they said this
  • The smooth muscle allows the Lumen (the inside space) to constrict, by contracting. This is useful if there are harmful substances in the air, as is minimises the amount of the substances that can be breathed in.
  • The elastic fibres allow the lumen to Dilate (widen) after the smooth muscle has contracted and then relaxed
Hmm not sure about anything :(