• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Y
The question is about a ''Coronary By-pass''.
As the name of the surgical operation suggests, it is performed on the Coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart.
Option D says that ''diseased parts of Aorta'' are removed. Aorta is a completely different main artery that supplies blood to the body.
This surgical procedure is performed on Coronary arteries where fat deposits resulting in Atherosclerosis.
An alternate path is provided for the blood to be supplied to the heart to maintain the supply of oxygen and dissolved glucose.
What's the answer? I think it should be A?
Yeah ,its A .Thanks agn.

Reaction score
Hello!
Plzz help me in Q 4/6 /
14 why D is wrong ?

18 why a?
question 18-----answer is a because dna replication occur in interphase(s-phase)
question 14----------answer d is wrong because i think enzyme has nothing to do with yield.It only affects rate.
question 6------use the formula .....measured length in ruler of given length/the value given=magnification
question 4----all can(one thing u might get confused is mitochondria-----(mitochondria-------either 70/80 s ribosome.

Reaction score
question 18-----answer is a because dna replication occur in interphase(s-phase)
question 14----------answer d is wrong because i think enzyme has nothing to do with yield.It only affects rate.
question 6------use the formula .....measured length in ruler of given length/the value given=magnification
question 4----all can(one thing u might get confused is mitochondria-----(mitochondria-------either 70/80 s ribosome.
Thanks alot :)

Reaction score
from the graph we can tell that the ratio of initial to final length is increasing, meaning that the length of potato chip is decreasing.
If the chip is decreasing, it means water is taken out of the chip via osmosis.
water potential of distilled water is 0, as water is taken out the solute concentration is higher in chip (lower water potential so its more negative)
as water is taken out, it gets less turgid. (turgid occurs when too much water)

Reaction score

Q1
from the first diagram we know that 0.2mm equates to 80 small divisions so
0.2mm/80 = 2.5 micrometers
each chloroplast is roughly 4 divisions so 2.5x4 = 10 micrometers

Q4
frist diagram we know that 0.2mm is 100 divisions so
0.2mm/100 = 2 micrometers
growth is around 10 divisions so 10x 2 = 20 micrometers in 4 hrs
divide it by time (4hr) to find rate so 20/4 = 5 micrometer / hr

Reaction score
from the graph we can tell that the ratio of initial to final length is increasing, meaning that the length of potato chip is decreasing.
If the chip is decreasing, it means water is taken out of the chip via osmosis.
water potential of distilled water is 0, as water is taken out the solute concentration is higher in chip (lower water potential so its more negative)
as water is taken out, it gets less turgid. (turgid occurs when too much water)
Thank you so much :)

Reaction score
An actively growing cell is supplied with radioactive amino acids.
Which cell component would first show an increase in radioactivity?
A Golgi body
B mitochondrion
C nucleus
D rough endoplasmic reticulum
D, RER because the ribosomes on the RER is the site of protein synthesis.
(protein is the folding of polypeptide chains made of amino acids)

second closest answer would be A, but Golgi is the site of protein packaging

Reaction score
D, RER because the ribosomes on the RER is the site of protein synthesis.
(protein is the folding of polypeptide chains made of amino acids)

second closest answer would be A, but Golgi is the site of protein packaging

Did u get six a stars in your alevels :eek:

Reaction score
I actually have no idea what telomere is so this is just some guesses and logical reasoning that I would have if I was to get this question in an exam,
1. telo-mere, the prefix is the same as telophase which means termination and ending
2. three quarters of the mitotic cycle is interphase so the time for replication is very short

without telomere which supposedly terminates things, division should theoretically continue endlessly
so answer should be A, if telomere is replaced with X then the division will not terminate and continue endlessly.

better do some research about it though, although I don't recall it being in the syllabus.

Reaction score
I actually have no idea what telomere is so this is just some guesses and logical reasoning that I would have if I was to get this question in an exam,
1. telo-mere, the prefix is the same as telophase which means termination and ending
2. three quarters of the mitotic cycle is interphase so the time for replication is very short

without telomere which supposedly terminates things, division should theoretically continue endlessly
so answer should be A, if telomere is replaced with X then the division will not terminate and continue endlessly.

better do some research about it though, although I don't recall it being in the syllabus.[
I don't think it's linked to telophase. It's linked to mitosis cycle eventually. Anyone has an idea about this question?

Reaction score
The sequence of bases on part of a molecule of DNA is shown.

TACAAATGACCA sense strand
ATGTTTACTGGT antisense strand

What is the sequence of bases in mRNA transcribed from this sequence?
A ATGTTTACTGGT
B AUGUUUACUGGU
C TACAAATGACCA
D UACAAAUGACCA

Answer is B , why it's not D .. both are correct

Reaction score
Can someone ease explain q 4 nov8?
And question 16 in nov10 v1.
w08 q4
you measure the closest distance from the inner alveolar wall to the membrane of the red blood cell, which is roughly 6-8mm depending on where you measure
magnification is x2500 so 6mm or 8mm divide by 2500 = 2.4 or 3.2 micrometers
so answer is B

w10 qp11 q16
its obvious that answer is A with some physics knowledge but with the facts the question has provided
firstly it says sucrose solution with highest water potential ie. closer to 0 as water potential is generally <0.
so water will move into cell via osmosis
this means you can immediately eliminate B where the centre cells are flaccid

over all potential of plant cells in As level biology is determined by the water potential and pressure potential
the thin cell wall cells have less pressure potential so they are likely to take in more water and expand hence the only correct answer is A where the strip is flipped inside out.