• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Re: Stuck in Biology?? Post your doubts here!!

Assalamoalaikum!

Please, help me with this question:
Describe the function of vasa recta.

Mark scheme points:
-removing water;
-from/ reabsorbed by collecting ducts;
-ref. to maintain water potential gradient (in medulla)

Jazakumullah Khair.. :)

Vasa recta functions to maintain the hyperosmolarity created by the Loop of Henle. Lies in countercurrent manner adjecent to the tubules. (U shaped) As blood flows down the descending limb of vasarecta, it takes up solutes from medullary interstitium (water moves out into interstitium) , and as blood flows in ascending limb, the concentration of solutes reaches very high, it gives off solutes to medullary interstitium and water moves in to the vasa recta. Thus, it maintains the hyperosmolarity by removal of water.

Reaction score
For this paper shouldn't the answer for question 10) be B because it forms a disulfide bond due to the S-H groups?

Thank you

Attachments

• 9700_s11_qp_12.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Cysteines are amino acids, they join together to form polypeptides. The only way to do this is by forming peptide bonds. Hence, D is the answer. Disulphide bonds can be formed but for their original function they don't need to be formed and hence are not formed.

Reaction score
no1 uses this forum... but here it goes!

does the separation of the sister chromatids by the duplication of the centromere happen in metaphase or anaphase? some textbooks so metaphase and anaphase but I dont know which stage is good for cambridge or which stage it occurs closest to. By looking at some of the multi choice questions there is clearly an answer to a definite stage.

So to summarise: does separation of sister chromatids occur in anaphase or metaphse?

Thanks,

Reaction score
also when cie talks about bronchioles do you take it as respiratory or terminal and respiratory contains goblet cells

N.M

Reaction score
no1 uses this forum... but here it goes!

does the separation of the sister chromatids by the duplication of the centromere happen in metaphase or anaphase? some textbooks so metaphase and anaphase but I dont know which stage is good for cambridge or which stage it occurs closest to. By looking at some of the multi choice questions there is clearly an answer to a definite stage.

So to summarise: does separation of sister chromatids occur in anaphase or metaphse?

Thanks,

firstly, centromere does not duplicate, it splits
2ndly the seperation n splitting happens in the anaphase not in metaphase...

Reaction score
also when cie talks about bronchioles do you take it as respiratory or terminal and respiratory contains goblet cells
Both. For example, respiratory bronchioles don't have any smooth muscle, but terminal bronchioles do. That's why if they ask for the presence of smooth muscles in bronchioles, both answers are accepted.

Reaction score
Cell wall is fully permeable. however pressure generates as a result of presence of cell wall. if there is no cell wall. no turgor pressure
thanks!

I have another question on NPP. So does NPP include respiration energy? Refering to question 39.
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w11_qp_12.pdf

The answer is B so does it means 1200 + 5000 divided by 1 000 000 times 100% ? So we have to add the respiration as well? I m so confused with NPP and GPP...

Reaction score
Asslamu Alikum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatoho....

Can someone please explain these for me.?
ll.PNG

Why is the answer of question 27 "A"?

And for the below one ....that is question 5 the answer is "B" ??

m.PNG

Reaction score
Assalamu Alikum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatoho.

Sir badrobot14 Can this be a sticky thread. I took time for me to find a place for biology doubts.

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Assalamu Alikum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatoho.

Sir badrobot14 Can this be a sticky thread. I took time for me to find a place for biology doubts.

WaAlaikum AsSalam WaRahmatullahi WaBarakatuhu,

hmm... sure.. I think I should... for now at least, I'm sticking it.. but once it becomes active, I might unstick it.. coz it looks bad if you enter a forum and half the page is taken up by sticky threads only.... :D

Reaction score
Asslamu Alikum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatoho....

Can someone please explain these for me.?
View attachment 21578

Why is the answer of question 27 "A"?

And for the below one ....that is question 5 the answer is "B" ??

View attachment 21579
Hi PhyZac
Well, cell 3 is a xylem vessel, whilst cell 2 is a "normal photosynthesising cell" and cell 1 a phloem cell. so you would expect that the water potential in cell 3 to be much less negative than the other cells because it contains water mainly. cell 2 will be less negative than cell 1 as cell 1 has a high conc. of sugars so has a less water potential. so the answer there must be A only.

for the second question according to me is the goblet cell because it releases a great deal of mucus, so it is bound to contain smooth endoplasmic reticulum (structure responsible for release of proteins.

Hope my answer helped u and good luck. :)