• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Monoclonal antibodies give a quicker diagnosis (than culturing pathogen) --> n hence a quicker treatment.
Also, identifying pathogens (viewing through) a microscope can be dificult
+ some pathogens/viruses cannot be cultured.
What book do u hav for bio

Reaction score
ive got some question in bio

why is need for hydrogen removal and its acceptance by NAD

why is need for supplies of NAD to allow glycolysis to proceed

someone please anwser

Reaction score
ive got some question in bio

why is need for hydrogen removal and its acceptance by NAD

why is need for supplies of NAD to allow glycolysis to proceed

someone please anwser
NAD is simply a carrier of H+ so that the Electron Transfer chain occurs and finally generate ATP
The hydrogen must be removed from each of the Triose Phosphate molecules to form pyruvate acid molecules. Now, where will these hydrogen molecules go? they are just passed to NAD (which are reduced). The reduced NAD has another importance later in the process.
I hope that i cleared ur doubt.

Reaction score
ive got another question

explain the importance of base pairing pleeasee?
Base pairing, i'm referring to correct base pairing, is important as the DNA codes for specific amino acids, which make up the important proteins in the body. A mismatched base pair, which can be caused by a mutation for e.g., can result into coding of an incorrect amino acid (s), eventually the protein structure and function may be altered.

Reaction score
thanks Amy Bloom
but i want to put an argument for the case of importance of base pairing

cant we say that base pairing keeps the bases inside so that it is less likely to damage from outside,and hydrogen bondind of base pairs stablilzes DNA

take no offense from the argument, i just want a constructive argument

Reaction score
What about NAD being a co enzyme so if base pairing is wrong due to mutation then an incorrect co enzyme is synthesized in protein synthesis so NAD won't be a good hydrogen carrier hence respiration cant take place.

Reaction score
thanks Amy Bloom

cant we say that base pairing keeps the bases inside so that it is less likely to damage from outside,and hydrogen bondind of base pairs stablilzes DNA

What about NAD being a co enzyme so if base pairing is wrong due to mutation then an incorrect co enzyme is synthesized in protein synthesis so NAD won't be a good hydrogen carrier hence respiration cant take place.

Reaction score
but faulty DNA will lead to all enzymes being faulty

It depends if the mutation is base substitution the there is a chance that the triplet code is for same amino acid

If its base addition or deletion the more fatal

Reaction score
thanks Amy Bloom

U know, the fact that Hydrogen bonding is known to be strong, i don't think that by keeping bases inside would 'protect' the latter, i don't think its a strong argument here. However, what i have said previously, is an answer accepted by examiners. try to see other people's opinions about what you have said.