• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek: It's written in the book. Prokaryotes, no matter they are photosynthesising or not, they don't contain organelles. Cell-wall in prokaryots is made up of peptidogylcan (murein) .
Even I got this question wrong.Because by seeing that the last one is chloroplast and question said photosynthetic I did choose the option that had 5.
I know even I have't about 'photosynthesizing prokaryotes' but we have to know characteristics of prokaryotes and that includes that they do not have 'membrane- bound organelles'.
oh yes you guys are right :(

Reaction score
Don't be sorry :)
Lol Idk this was long ago
may be because my teacher told us something about 0.5 or 0.05 being the cut off probability idk something like that I don't remember exactly:S
Ohkay I think it shouldn't be highlighted.
It isn't related.

Reaction score
explain role of synapse in nervous system

adaptation / ACh amount reduces due to overuse of synapse ;
wide range of responses ;
due to interconnection of many nerve pathways ;
inhibitory synapses affect other synapses ;
involved in memory / learning ;
due to new synapses being formed ;
summation / discrimination ;

help these points is always there in MS and i cant write anything for them especially the underlined ms points

Reaction score

help these points is always there in MS and i cant write anything for them especially the underlined ms points
Do you want the complete answer in paragraph form?
How much marks is it for?

Reaction score
Since the chromatids are lying at the equator, the phase of division must be metaphase and the question has mentioned meiosis so it can be both meiosis 1 and 2 but as it can be seen one division has already occured so it can only be meiosis 2. And it just can't be telophase because the chromosomes are at the poles not in the centre.

Reaction score

?

Reaction score
Since the chromatids are lying at the equator, the phase of division must be metaphase and the question has mentioned meiosis so it can be both meiosis 1 and 2 but as it can be seen one division has already occured so it can only be meiosis 2. And it just can't be telophase because the chromosomes are at the poles not in the centre.
How do we know one division has occurred? does the outer line represent the cell membrane of the initial cell/ the germ cell? and the two inner lines are the cell surface membranes of the two daughter cell formed? is that so?

Reaction score
Okay
so first describe synapse as the functional apposition between two neurones where an impulse is transmitted from one neurone to another via chemical means
Synapse helps in uni directional flow of impulses because a) the synpatic vesicles and voltage gated Ca ion channels are present only on the pre synaptic knob b) receptors of ACh are only on post synaptic neurone
Synapses are involved in memory and learning which results due to the formation of new synaptic interconnections
They allow temporal (i.e adding up of 2 or more impulses coming from the same neurone at different times )and spatial summation( i.e adding up of 2 or more impulses arriving from different neurones at the same time) which results in interconnection between nerve pathways and this inturn leads to wider range of responses
Synapses are also involved in a phenomenon of ADAPTATION which reduces the frequency of impulses sent to the CNS due to a constant stimulus, this ensures the CNS is not bombarded with useless information such as the information regarding clothing

Reaction score
Okay
so first describe synapse as the functional apposition between two neurones where an impulse is transmitted from one neurone to another via chemical means
Synapse helps in uni directional flow of impulses because a) the synpatic vesicles and voltage gated Ca ion channels are present only on the pre synaptic knob b) receptors of ACh are only on post synaptic neurone
Synapses are involved in memory and learning which results due to the formation of new synaptic interconnections
They allow temporal (i.e adding up of 2 or more impulses coming from the same neurone at different times )and spatial summation( i.e adding up of 2 or more impulses arriving from different neurones at the same time) which results in interconnection between nerve pathways and this inturn leads to wider range of responses
Synapses are also involved in a phenomenon of ADAPTATION which reduces the frequency of impulses sent to the CNS due to a constant stimulus, this ensures the CNS is not bombarded with useless information such as the information regarding clothing
thanks but may u clarify this MS point adaptation / ACh amount reduces due to overuse of synapse ;

Reaction score
thanks but may u clarify this MS point adaptation / ACh amount reduces due to overuse of synapse ;
Basically when a certain stimuli is constantly generating an action potential it is using neurotransmitter ACh constantly for the transmission across a synapse which leads to depletion of ACh
this is how our brain ignores constant 'useless' stimulus