• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
The first sterile hybrid is made by meiosis. So the no. of chromosomes in this hybrid will be 14. Due to mutation, this number gets doubled, so now the fertile hybrid 1 will have 28 chromosomes. Now when this fertile hybrid 1 is crossed with a another grass having the chromosome no. 14, the resulting offspring will have 21 chromosomes (7 from the grass, and 14 from the fertile hybrid one). Again, due to mutation this sterile hybird formed have its chromosome no. double, so the next fertile hybrid 2 will have 42 chromosomes (21 * 2 = 42)

Reaction score
The first sterile hybrid is made by meiosis. So the no. of chromosomes in this hybrid will be 14. Due to mutation, this number gets doubled, so now the fertile hybrid 1 will have 28 chromosomes. Now when this fertile hybrid 1 is crossed with a another grass having the chromosome no. 14, the resulting offspring will have 21 chromosomes (7 from the grass, and 14 from the fertile hybrid one). Again, due to mutation this sterile hybird formed have its chromosome no. double, so the next fertile hybrid 2 will have 42 chromosomes (21 * 2 = 42)
Thank you!

Reaction score
oh good!
I just solved my first paper of Biology today, a Paper 1 and scored 22 out of 40, just feeling so down! any suggestions? should I revise the stuff again?
Good.
No actually if this is your first.It isn't bad.
Maybe you might have noticed that you lost marks because of being in a hurry and not reading the question properly.I made that mistake alot during practice.
Think before you answer.
Take every question as a new one.
Read the question carefully and completely.
You can revise for the chapters for which you think you aren't sure about the facts.

Reaction score
thank you!
should I continue solving papers then? do the questions get repeated?
You should continue.
Yes,there are always question that are repeated.
Just one thing I wanted to say.That if you like maybe you can solve topicals after revising topics.That way you can get a hint for which topic you need to focus on more.

Reaction score
thank you!
should I continue solving papers then? do the questions get repeated?
Yes they do, sometimes. But even if they don't, the pattern on which they are asked remains the same. But you should be prepared for any new question which may come; you should treat every question as a new one. Just keep practicing, you'll get better by time. When I started doing them, I also used to get marks like 29, 32 etc. But now I have improved a lot, and now alhamdolillah most of the times i get 40/40. :)

Reaction score
Yes they do, sometimes. But even if they don't, the pattern on which they are asked remains the same. But you should be prepared for any new question which may come; you should treat every question as a new one. Just keep practicing, you'll get better by time. When I started doing them, I also used to get marks like 29, 32 etc. But now I have improved a lot, and now alhamdolillah most of the times i get 40/40. :)
Alhamdulillah.
MashaAllah that's great!

Reaction score
You should continue.
Yes,there are always question that are repeated.
Just one thing I wanted to say.That if you like maybe you can solve topicals after revising topics.That way you can get a hint for which topic you need to focus on more.
thank you both of you! I feel a lot better now!
Rizwan Javed
and wow 40/40 is a lot! yeah that's what I am aiming for as well! you took AS already or will you take in May/June?