• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
No worries
just have a look on it and give a reading and then lemme know if you get it or not?

The carbon dioxide combines with heamoglobin to form carbaminohaemoglobin .

Carbondioxide and water combine.This is with the enzyme carbonic anhydrase and forms carbonic acid. The carbonic acid dissociates into hydrogen carbonate and proton.
The hydrogen carbonate moves out into the plasma.

Is this fine? :3

Last edited:
Reaction score
The carbon dioxide combines with heamoglobin to form carbaminohaemoglobin .

Carbondioxide and water combine.This is with the enzyme carbonic anhydrase and forms carbonic acid. The carbonic acid dissociates into hydrogen carbonate and proton.

Is this fine? :3
Firstly it combines reversibly, secondly how co2 and h2o can combine ?
Otherwise it's fine as long as if it's for 3 marks.

And did you memorise from the ms bcz that's ms wording :unsure:

Reaction score
Sorry for wasting your time :(
Listen :LOL: I have notes about two pages for this part XD but for THREE marks I dont know what to write what not to write!
Its okay :)
Write as much as you can, you never know what they'll need so write everything in order to be in safe zone.:D

Reaction score
Firstly it combines reversibly, secondly how co2 and h2o can combine ?
Otherwise it's fine as long as if it's for 3 marks.

And did you memorise from the ms bcz that's ms wording :unsure:
So I mention that CO2 and H2O combine reversibly. :)
In the cytoplasm of cells there is high water content so thats where the water comes from and the CO2 comes from the respiring tissues and they combine irreversibly like you said with the help of the enzyme.

No, I didn't memorise anything from CO2 transport yet. I looked at the Mark scheme and my notes then wrote the answer. :p

Reaction score
Write as much as you can, you never know what they'll need so write everything in order to be in safe zone.:D
Ty :)
Are you sure? :/ I dont like that I should try to mention the points that are needed shouldnt I? :(
Like for eg here I can mention about how rest of the CO2 is transported right?:p

Reaction score
Ty :)
Are you sure? :/ I dont like that I should try to mention the points that are needed shouldnt I? :(
Like for eg here I can mention about how rest of the CO2 is transported right?:p
Nw

I didn't mean that btw :p
btw are you appearing for AS science including biology in this coming session?

Reaction score
Whats up with the carbaminoheamoglobin? :p

Ty for all your help :)
Hey ^.^
So do I mention the formation of carbaminoheamoglobin and what else?

Is this fine for three marks?

Carbondioxide from respiring tissues that diffuses into RBCs and water from cells combine.
This reaction is catalysed by the enzyme carbonic anhydrase and forms carbonic acid. The carbonic acid dissociates into hydrogen carbonate and proton.

Reaction score
Hey ^.^

Carbondioxide from respiring tissues that diffuses into RBCs and water from cells combine.
This reaction is catalysed by the enzyme carbonic anhydrase and forms carbonic acid. The carbonic acid dissociates into hydrogen carbonate and proton.

1. Quote the % ages eg 85%is transported by (Hco3^-1) and so on..
2.name of the enzyme ie ca and that equ must be there.
3.if still u are worried that which points you have to write and which points you have to neglect the simply draw a labeledlabeled diagrams.
I'm sure you'll get 3 marks for this.
And wait a sec , lemme draw a labelled diagram which will surely be fruitful for you.

Reaction score
Hey ^.^

IMG_20150623_114315.jpg

Reaction score
Hey ^.^

Carbon dioxide molecules are transported in the blood from body tissues to the lungs by one of three methods: (1) dissolution directly into the blood (5%), (2) binding to hemoglobin (10%), or (3) carried as a bicarbonate ion (85%).
First, carbon dioxide is more soluble in blood than is oxygen. Therefore carbon dioxide can be directly carried by blood.
Second, carbon dioxide can bind to plasma proteins or can enter red blood cells, bind to hemoglobin and form a molecule called carbaminohemoglobin is formed. Binding of carbon dioxide to hemoglobin is reversible. Therefore, when it reaches the lungs, the carbon dioxide can freely dissociate from the hemoglobin and be expelled from the body.
Third, the majority of carbon dioxide molecules are carried as part of the bicarbonate buffer system. In this system, carbon dioxide diffuses into the red blood cells. Carbonic anhydrase (CA) within the red blood cells quickly converts the carbon dioxide into carbonic acid (H2CO3). Carbonic acid is an unstable, intermediate molecule that immediately dissociates into bicarbonate ions (HCO3−) and hydrogen (H+) ions. Since carbon dioxide is quickly converted into bicarbonate ions, this reaction allows for the continued uptake of carbon dioxide into the blood, down its concentration gradient. It also results in the production of H+ ions. If too much H+ is produced, it can alter blood pH. However, hemoglobin binds to the free H+ ions, limiting shifts in pH. The newly-synthesized bicarbonate ion is transported out of the red blood cell into the liquid component of the blood in exchange for a chloride ion (Cl-); this is called the chloride shift. When the blood reaches the lungs, the bicarbonate ion is transported back into the red blood cell in exchange for the chloride ion. The H+ ion dissociates from the hemoglobin and binds to the bicarbonate ion.This produces the carbonic acid intermediate, which is converted back into carbon dioxide through the enzymatic action of CA. The carbon dioxide produced is expelled through lungs.

Now I have given a detail explanation of this.Still if you feel any problem in understanding do lemme know.:)