• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I'm confused about the 1st.. If we use it together with stage micrometer, we can actually measure cells, no? :/
Yes, you're right, by calibration using a stage micrometer we can find out what exactly each division of the eyepiece graticule represents. We can do this because we know the real length of the divisions on stage micrometer, so we can equate the divisions of eyepiece graticule with the divisions of the stage micrometer. Note that a stage micrometer does get magnified and changes size if we change magnification. (so calibration must be done at every magnification)
However, in this question, stage micrometers are not mentioned. Eyepiece graticules alone cannot measure the real size of the specimen.

Reaction score
CT NOV 2011 P11: Q33 why option D wrong.. u did nt checked it,
Question is about inhaling smoke.......pls 3xplain

Reaction score
What? How can this be C? The average to that is 9.2, not 9. :s
Answer should be C. Number of bubbles should be rounded off to a whole number, how can you have 9.2 bubbles? Our measuring device (ie our eyes) cannot measure fractions of bubbles. Furthermore, there is no justification for having two, or three significant figures in our calculated result when our raw data did not have as many.
So only student 2 did it correct.

Reaction score
CT NOV 2011 P11: Q33 why option D wrong.. u did nt checked it,
Question is about inhaling smoke.......pls 3xplain
Not A as mucus production is inctreased, Ciliated epithelium are destroyed so ciliatry movement is reduced, tobacco smoke does not decrease oxgen transport. so the answer is D

Reaction score
How do we calculate the maximum number? :/
Firstly since there are 700 nucleotides in the entire DNA molecule, and there are two strands of DNA in the molecule, there must be 700/2 = 350 base pairs.
G-C pairs have 3 hydrogen bonds as opposed to A-T's 2. We assume that all the nucleotides are G-C (which is highly unlikely) to maximize the number of bonds.
3x350=1050 bonds
C.

Reaction score
I haven't checked the ms myself but somebody posted it saying the ans was D so yeah maybe
So here we go CO does not cause the destruction of epithelium cells, and nicotine only causes blood vessels to dialate and increase blood pressure hence we are left with C which i checked in my book and does confirm that it causes platelets to stick together.
EDIT: MY bad, blood vessels constrict.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So here we go CO does not cause the destruction of epithelium cells, and nicotine only causes blood vessels to dialate and increase blood pressure hence we are left with C which i checked in my book and does confirm that it causes platelets to stick together.
firstly Co does damage the epithelium by releasing superoxide radicals
secondly nicotine constricts (not dilate)the vessels :s

Reaction score